Gmail offers more than just email – you can add gadgets to your Gmail screen to add more functionality or just for plain fun.
Before we get started, you must activate Gmail Gadgets by navigating to Settings then Labs and enabling “Add any gadget by URL.”
Now navigate to Settings > Gadgets to add new gadgets to your Gmail account:
All of the Gadgets listed must be installed by URL. Simply copy the URLs below and paste into your Gmail Gadgets settings box and press “Add.”
1. TwitterGadget makes it easy to view and update your Twitter account without visiting the Twitter homepage.
The URL for the Twitter Gadget is: http://www.twittergadget.com/gadget_gmail.xml
2. Wikipedia Search helps you search Wikipedia directly from Gmail – whether it’s for research or just for fun.
The URL for Wikipedia Search is:
3. Use FriendFeed? Get the FriendFeed Gmail Gadget, so you can keep track of your friends on this popular Social networking/sharing service.
4. A must-have gadget for those of us who communicate regularly with people around the world is the World Clock gadget. It has locations all around the world and continuously updates the time, so you know when it’s bedtime in Paris and not to expect a speedy response to your emails!
The URL for the World Clock Gadget is:
5. Track the current trends on Digg with the Digg Gadget. Features include selecting stories by sub-section and access to your settings.
The URL for the Digg Gadget is:
6. The Facebook Gadget can be added directly to Gmail by adding this handy gadget. Do a lot of things you’d normally do at Facebook.com directly from your sidebar. The URL for Facebook Gadget is:
7. Quickly shorten links with the Bit.ly URL Shortener Gadget. Whether you are emailing links or sending to friends via Google Chat, shorten long URLs with the Bit.ly URL shortener gadget.
The URL for the Bit.ly URL Shortener Gadget is: http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/107368512201818821991/bitly-shortener.xml
8. MySpace can also be accessed via Google Gadget. Install this gadget and log in to your MySpace account to access friends, notes and more.
The URL for the MySpace Gadget is: http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/100080069921643878012/myspace.xml
9. Use the Google Calculator to perform simple and complex math problems or convert weights from metric to English or vice versa right from Gmail.
The URL for the Google Calculator Gadget is:
10. And just for fun, add the Chuck Norris facts Gadget to Gmail. Get a couple of laughs a day and some funny facts to share with friends.
Which Google gadgets sit on YOUR Gmail sidebar? Let us know in the comments.