Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
This week we will be looking at MP3 & audio software. These are the apps that we use to convert, organize or listen to our digital audio files as well as rip physical music to a digital format. There are some awesome applications on this list.
|With almost 16 million downloads of all time this application gives you a lot of options. You can rip a CD directly to your file format of choice as well as play around with its cross fader, reverb and MP3 tags. It has a built in alarm clock and a tool to seek out lyrics from your favorite tracks.|
2. FreeRip MP3
|This application does a very good job at ripping CD’s. You can rip to almost any format including Vorbis, FLAC, and WMA. It comes with a built in multitrack ripping option and a feature rich audio converter. So not only can you rip your tracks but you can convert them as well.|
3. Apple iTunes
|Ah who doesn’t know what iTunes is? iTunes is Apple’s flagship audio product. It links up your iPod’s or your iPhone’s with your music. Even my mother has used iTunes before. And seeing that most people download this from Apple, 6 million downloads in the last year is very impressive.|
|Can you guess what this application does from its name alone? You sure can! You can convert audio files to your hearts content . The name suggests it only works on MP3’s and WMA’s but it does do WAV and OGG as well. Converting is a easy task. All you need to do is drag and drop the files to the applications window.|
|The Windows version of iTunes. I happen to use Windows Media Player a lot and it is the heart of the Windows Media Center. You can use it to play, burn and rip your music. You can also rate your tracks and so much more. I said before everyone has used iTunes before and the same goes for WMP!|
- Tiny Youtube Converter Have you ever wanted to convert just the audio from a youTube video to MP3? Well now you can easily and for free.
- Burn4Free CD and DVD With over 7 million downloads this CD burning application does it all but beware of the toolbar it tries to install on installation.
- Media Player Classic A lightweight audio and video player.
- BurnAware Free Create and burn audio disks in addition to DVD’s and being able to burn disk images.
- Apple QuickTime Quicktime plays MPEG4 videos with AAC sound as well as audio files. It is Apple’s video player of choice and it does what it does well.
If you have other personal favorites let us know in the comments. We want to hear about everything from music players, to rippers and back to applications that help you manage your audio collection. Put us on below.