Which software lets me blank out everything on the screen, except for a small window view?

Raj July 1, 2010
Whatsapp Pinterest

I am not sure how to put it or how to name this functionality. So here goes. I am looking for a freeware which would do the following:

Say I am watching a YouTube view I want only that video window to be visible, rest to be say dark or opaque. They have/had a functionality called lights off. It’s available on Hulu and many other sites now.

But I want a general software for Windows for this functionality.

Any help would be appreciated.

  1. Anonymous
    July 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

    You should try out Universal Darkroom. It's an Auto Hot Key Script that enables you to get the functionality that you want very easily. I recommend this because it's not at all heavy on the computer.


  2. Raj
    July 8, 2010 at 1:06 am

    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will try out Ontopreplica and another one called Thumbprevew. These 2 look promising.

  3. Jack Cola
    July 6, 2010 at 2:49 pm

    They sound like good addons.

    I would also like to add that you can do it with some LCD monitors. I can't remember the models, but it was either Sumsung or Asus

  4. techandlife
    July 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm

    OnTopReplica might do the job if you want a part of a window to remain on top


    I read about it recently here:


  5. Aibek
    July 5, 2010 at 2:20 pm

    I am no sure if that's what you're looking for but check out Vanishd


  6. Raj
    July 2, 2010 at 8:31 am

    Thanks for the reply. But I have already tried few options similar to this. Problem is its all browser extensions and more over its just works on video sites. I was looking for something more generic which can be used on any window(be it a youtube page, a word document, a ppt, desktop etc) where one can control the what portion of window is visible.

    Here are a few option I came across:-
    And some addons.

    Will keep looking for for a better option.

  7. Raj
    July 2, 2010 at 4:28 am

    Just to make it clear I am not looking for something which would keep one window active, more like something which can control portions of a window.

Ads by Google