Which software lets me blank out everything on the screen, except for a small window view?

Raj July 1, 2010

I am not sure how to put it or how to name this functionality. So here goes. I am looking for a freeware which would do the following:

Say I am watching a YouTube view I want only that video window to be visible, rest to be say dark or opaque. They have/had a functionality called lights off. It’s available on Hulu and many other sites now.

But I want a general software for Windows for this functionality.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should try out Universal Darkroom. It's an Auto Hot Key Script that enables you to get the functionality that you want very easily. I recommend this because it's not at all heavy on the computer.

http://lifehacker.com/5458809/universal-darkroom-turns-any-application-into-a-distraction+free-zone

2. Raj

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will try out Ontopreplica and another one called Thumbprevew. These 2 look promising.

They sound like good addons.

I would also like to add that you can do it with some LCD monitors. I can't remember the models, but it was either Sumsung or Asus

4. techandlife

OnTopReplica might do the job if you want a part of a window to remain on top

I read about it recently here:

http://www.instantfundas.com/2010/06/ontopreplica-clone-window-miniaturize.html

I am no sure if that's what you're looking for but check out Vanishd

//www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-cool-websites-to-procrastinate-at-work-like-a-pro/

6. Raj

Thanks for the reply. But I have already tried few options similar to this. Problem is its all browser extensions and more over its just works on video sites. I was looking for something more generic which can be used on any window(be it a youtube page, a word document, a ppt, desktop etc) where one can control the what portion of window is visible.

Here are a few option I came across:-
    Dropcloth
    Ghoster
    Darkroom
    And some addons.

Will keep looking for for a better option.

7. Raj

Just to make it clear I am not looking for something which would keep one window active, more like something which can control portions of a window.

• Jessica Cam W.

This article [Broken URL Removed] states you can do that with Firefox or Chrome, with the help of an extension.

For Chrome, use Turn Off The Lights.

For Firefox, use this script which you can use if you have downloaded Greasemonkey.