Why are all my shortcuts messed up on Windows 7?

Nicholas Keene October 27, 2010

I have been using this computer for a couple of weeks and suddenly everything but folders changed to the java icon and none of them open. I get the Error: “Could not find the main class: C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Skype.lnk. Program will exit.” Skype was just my example, nothing opens correctly.
I’d appreciate it if someone helped, I don’t know much about computers.

Download malwarebytes antimalware and superantispyware, reboot to safe mode and do some scan and cleaning.

then try
    FixWin, then under windows explorer section there is a fix for files and folders

Then try

also you might want to re-enable taskmanager with Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT)
    Make sure you boot in to Safe Mode to use Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT). Just click on the buttons and it’ll do it’s job.

Re-Enable Portable

2. Nick

I read through that, although, I am unsure of what programs I need to use to open the .lnk files. The link that Aibek included didn't work for me, either.

This sounds similar to the following question and Aibek has posted a solution that has worked for many people: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/change-fix-file-associations-windows-7/

Please let us know whether that's it.