Is it safe to upgrade my iPod Touch from iOS 4 to iOS 5?
It's a good idea to update/upgrade your device as it brings new features and bug fixes.
Only iPod touch (third generation), iPod touch (fourth generation)models are eligible for the upgrade.If you have first or second-generation iPod touch, you’ll have to stick with your current version of iOS.
You need to have latest version of itunes -
It's recommended that you backup your data before upgrading to iOS 5 (so that you can restore to previous state),which can be done by -
1) Connect ipod touch to your computer via USB, open iTunes, select your device, and press the Sync button. This will automatically update your iTunes backup.
2) If itunes doesn't prompt you to download the update of ios 5 then you can do it manually by clicking on the Check For Update button in the Summary pane for your device and the download will begin.
3) To restore your device i.e. a fresh install of iOS 5 and then re-upload your backed up settings,click the Restore button instead of Check For Update.
This will directly update you from iOS 4 to iOS 5 and will restore itself to factory settings before installing the new OS.
4) Once the update finishes installing,the screen will display “Slide to set up” in a variety of different languages.
Setup process -
1) To begin set-up process,you'll be asked to enable location services which allows Apple and third party apps to access your location.
Restoration process -
1) Tap on Restore From iTunes Backup, and you’ll be brought to the Connect to iTunes screen and connect to itunes.
2) After selecting your device, you’ll see the Set Up Your Device screen.Choose restore, select the latest backup from the drop-down menu, and click the Continue button to proceed.
The iOS 5 now allows you to update your software over the air.Now,iOS updates are “delta updates” (they contain only the parts of the
system that have changed, so you don’t have to download the entire
system each time there is an update), they’re smaller; therefore, you
can download them just about anywhere you have a decent 3G or Wi-Fi
ios 5 makes my ipod touch 4 LAGG!
I WOULD KEEP IOS 4!!!
Yes, it is safe to upgrade your iPod. Make sure you synchronize your iPod with your PC or Mac, first. This way you can restore applications, settings, songs, etc. If your iPod is jailbroken, all the jailbroken applications will need to be re-installed.
You can also read about whats new in iOS5.
Do you need help upgrading?
i tried to upgrade my jailbroken ipod touch4 but itunes is giving error.... plz help