How can I recover files from an external hard drive?

Excell July 13, 2011

I was copying files on my system to an LG External HDD 320GB. The system switched to screensaver because the files where much. When I opened the system it was no more copying. I stopped it and discovered that it was no longer recognized by the system and now makes a clicking sound. Please, I need help on how to recover the hard disk or at least my files.

  1. Paul D Pruitt
    July 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm

    Sounds like a hardware problem.  I agree with James though that most of the files may have copied before the failure, so do a search for them.  As for data recovery companies retrieving data from failed disks, I think we are talking $250-500+.  There is a list of these companies on my site here:

    You could try freeware and demo failing disk recovery software too just to be sure there is anything you can still get off the disk:

    Some have reported tricks like knocking the disk hard on a table or floor (but not too hard obviously) to try to get the disk back on track.  Also some claim that freezing the disk in a freezer for a few hours sometimes works.

  2. James Bruce
    July 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm

    Your hard drive is dead, but if you have indeed *copied* the files instead of *moving* them, then surely you stil have those files on your computer?

  3. Mike
    July 14, 2011 at 12:05 am

    If your external Hard Drive makes clicking noises you have 99% chance looking at a hardware failure. If you are really fond of it's content I suggest to visit the next recovery company near you.
    Any attempt ~ even having it powered on ~ will most likely cause more damage, make it harder and more expensive to recover files (if possible at all).

  4. Anonymous
    July 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

    Hi if you have a restore point on windows then use it to go back a couple days ago when everything was fine. This to see if windows will recognize again your hard drive. Then if the files in the hard drives are lost you have to use file recovery tool to restore them back.