How can I use an old plotter in Windows 7 or another free operating systems with Windows XP drivers?

paul April 26, 2011
Whatsapp Pinterest

I have an old plotter, the drivers and programs only work on Windows XP. Are there any freeware operating systems that I can run them on? I don’t have Windows XP now, and cant download virtual XP onto Windows 7 Home Premium.

1. It-rescue

Hi tina, sorry didnt have a lot of time to write a lot the other day, I tried to get updated drivers from golden machine, they still havent got back to me, the guy i was working on it for was desperate to get it going, cos his business was suffering because of it, "memorial stone engraver". thanks for the help roy, but the guy i did the work for would probably find it very difficult to figure out vmware and how to run it every day he's not too i.t. literate. simplest solutions was to use an old laptop, its never going to be used for anything else so thought it made sense.

great site this, glad i found it.

paul.

I.T. rescue.

KERRY IRELAND

2. Mil Mar

What manufacturer is it? I ask b/c some vendors have universal drivers, and it may work for the plotter & OS

• It-rescue

its a golden machine 720, got it sorted by using an old laptop on xp!

Thanks for the feedback!

if you can instal the driver and plotter then Try to run the plotter in the windows xp compatibility mode
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Workaround to Install Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 Home Premium and Home Basic
    http://keznews.com/6587_Workaround_to_Install_Windows_XP_Mode_in_Windows_7_Home_Premium_and_Home_Basic

4. Roy

Your Windows XP drivers aren't likely to work with any OS besides Windows XP, unfortunately. However it's possible that you might find a free OS that has its own drivers for the plotter. If it's and old and obscure piece of equipment though, there might not be a lot of driver support for it. Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

Download Ubuntu or any other Linux distro with good community support, run it from a live CD and see if it can use that hardware. Or google it - search for the model number of the plotter and Ubuntu, for example. You'll have a good chance of finding some information about compatibility that way.

Another option might be to use virtualization software like VMWare or Virtual Box and run XP that way.