I installed Office 2010 on both my laptop and my desktop. The desktop works fine, but the laptop when I try to open any program, it gives me a “failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect.”
you can have file association problems
1. Click the Start Button and click Default Programs.
2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with program."
3. Click the XXX file extension and verify whether it is correctly set to open with the program which you want to use.
4. If the configuration is not set correctly, please highlight this XXX file extension and click the Change program button.
5. Check whether the program is listed in the Recommended Program or Other Programs. If so, please choose the program and click OK.
6. If not, please click the Browse button to locate the correct program.
7. Click OK.
This problem is usually related to a bad Visual C++ Redistributable Package installation. I suggest to go into "Add and Remove Programs" within the control panel, note down all installed "Microsoft Visual C++" packages and reinstall them.
Or if you know which application installed them reinstall those applications.
Microsoft Download Center.