Why doesn’t the MakeUseOf directory work on my ASUS netbook?

Christine St Syr Griffin March 14, 2013
Whatsapp Pinterest

Hi,

I have a new Asus netbook with pre-installed Windows 8. When I go to the MUO directory of useful websites and click, nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Thanks ever so much!

1. Chinmay Sarupria

I tried to open that site in Internet Explorer 8 and it opened but didn't load fully. And that site opened in Firefox successfully.
    So i would suggest you to switch to Firefox.

open cmd window and type: ipconfig /flushdns

• christine st.syr griffin

Ok ha that would be great but i had to read your answer 3 xs before i realised "oh command button" i am a little slow on the uptake kimosabe, and you are always super helpful maybe just dumb it down a little for me please. Im sure theres a cheat sheet somewhere so i can understand. Seriously you have helped me in the past and i thank you and apologize for my ineptitude, christine

sure
      Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Command Prompt.
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/open-a-command-prompt-window

you can also go to your start menu then run then type cmd right click on it and choose run as administrator
      if you do not see run then type cmd in the search menu
      http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/559-start-menu-add-run-button.html

on windows 8 if you did not installed a start menu just use windows key+x
      a small windows will pop up and you will see run option there
      http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012885/20-must-know-windows-8-tips-and-tricks.html

• christine st.syr griffin

ok ha, puzzle me this i can now open the mobile apps section however not the web application list. Yesterday i could do neither. Is it becuase i am running on wifi? My tech and I were busy but he did check it out real quik before he left and thinks its coming from the site itself. thanks so much, your so very patient with me, christine

open command prompt
      netsh winsock reset and hit enter
      netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit enter
      http://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2012/09/16/Resetting-your-network-adapter-in-Windows-8.aspx

try to reset the router
      http://compnetworking.about.com/b/2009/03/11/the-30-30-30-hard-reset-rule-for-routers.htm

• christine st.syr griffin

No way Jose my son finally can do you tube on his phone, new router, actually works all the time, super speedy, i dont want to mess with it. And everything else seems to be working fine, installed chrome, no problems so far so good.familiar with the reset constantly doing it for our cable. I really do appreciate your time, christine

you can scan windows with CCleaner
      //www.makeuseof.com/tag/optimize-system-run-ccleaner/
      //www.makeuseof.com/tag/ccleaner-remove-excess-files-ccenhancer/
      if junk files or dead registry keys are causing the problem on Internet explorer then perhaps it can be fixed,

so you installed chrome and is working fine, that's great

Firstly,try clearing cache,cookies and history of your browser.Then,disable all the extensions or plugins to see any improvements.

• christine st.syr griffin

thank you, and thats not it, sorry. thanks for helping, christine

Can you elaborate on your question a little.
    Do other links work?
    Is I.E.10 your default browser?
    Are you able to navigate around a couple of websites without any problems?

• christine st.syr griffin

Yes ie is the browser i havnt really messed with too much its less than a week old. I really have not done too much on it opened an account with usps, no problem there, navigate around amazons seller acct. Which is always a pain still no issues, and before i start messing with the system i decided to have a real techie aquantance help me set it up proper i have an appt. this morning....and i purchased MUO guide on windows 8. I am having a problem installing chrome tried twice and Ace decides to do a re-boot both times so no chrome yet.other than that this little netbook with touch seems like it will be really fun once i get it set up proper.super user friendly i find it much easier than the hp from 1 1/2 years ago i purchased and my son recently cracked the screen on. It pretty much does everything by itself, so smart it is. So that being said im willing to pay the $50 bucks an hour for help, and hope he can help figure this little puzzle out.thanks ever so much for your time, christine ...it shouldnt take more than an hour to set up right?