Why do I have two intances of Internet Explorer on my new Windows 7 computer?

david April 21, 2011

When I left click on the windows icon in lower left, Internet Explorer (64 bit) appears in the abbreviated program list. But if I click for “all programs”, that AND a listing for Enternet Explorer without the (64 bit) in parenthesis shows up right below the 64 bit Explorer icon.

PC was shipped with Internet Explorer 8 and I upgraded to Internet Explorer 9, but I don’t know what is going on. Java also crashes a lot.

1. Dsch12

Is there any advantage to clicking on the 64 bit version when surfing?

If you want to surf with a minimal amount of add-ins for the browser, no flash, etc. you can just use the 64-bit version of IE.  Most toolbars and other crap that bloats IE beyond its initial bloat won't run in the 64-bit version.  This will make your browsing somewhat faster depending on how much extra crap is crammed into your 32-bit version of IE.

The 64bit edition of Windows 7 comes with both installation of Internet Explorer 8 (32 & 64bit) to guarantee maximum compatibility.

Internet Explorer (64bit)
    Internet Explorer

Actually, the second one ~ the 32bit version ~ is the default browser after installation since most Add-ons including Flashplayer weren't 64bit compatible when Windows 7 was released. When installing Internet Explorer 9 both versions are upgraded.

As for your Java crashes I suggest to download the offline package and reinstall it.
    Java 6u24 (32bit)
    Java 6u24 (64bit)

If you are using both browser versions you have to install both packages, otherwise Java will only work for the installed architecture.