I have a website that is approximately 1 year old. I am always trying to write good content on my site.
How to increase the traffic on the site?
Also, how to increase the PageRank (is PageRank still relevant?)?
quality and interesting content is one of the most important thing.
It's long process to get traffic on your website.
We can devide it in 2 sections.
1. On-page Optimization
Make Clean URLS
- Page Title
- Meta Description
- Meta Keywords
- Create robot.txt
- Create Sitemap.XML file
- Add social bookmaking buttons
2. Off-page Optimization
- Directory Submission
- Article Submission
- Comments in blogs and forums
- Profile baklinks
- Social Media Marketing & Link building
Directory submission will get you de-ranked and penalised faster than you can say "irrelevant back links", as will commenting in forums.
You are on the right path. Continue to create quality content that people actually want to read and share. There really isn't any shortcut. As for PageRank, no one can say with certainty whether this is still important. The guys at Google have kept that a closely guarded secret. But, I wouldn't worry too much about PageRank ...I would be more concerned with creating quality content because that's what builds a loyal audience.
To increase traffic you can follow a few tips mentioned below:
1. Write contents and post them regularly or on a fix interval.
2. Use keywords and SEO so that search engines like google, bing, etc. can find your site.
3. Promote your website and contents on social networks like facebook, twitter, etc.
4. Make your site faster by using CDNs.
5. Check makeuseof.com regularly for more tips.
These are only a few tips and I might have missed some. hope someone will provide you more tips. There are articles on makeuseof that suits your need.