How to repair a corrupted external hard drive?

Dhaval Gohel December 30, 2012

My hard drive is not readable and it can not be accessed. The size of it as shown in the computer is 0 bytes. But the actual size is 320 GB. Is there any method to resolve it?

  1. Qin Tang
    January 4, 2013 at 7:23 am

    As for the current case, you can use a third party software called MiniTool Power Data recovery or recuva to recover your files on the hard drive, then re-partition the hard drive with the freeware - Partition Wizard. Good Luck!

  2. Paul Pruitt
    December 31, 2012 at 3:09 pm

    Sorry to hear about your issues. Try and

    If it is worth it to you, there is always the data recovery companies like OnTrack,, although they start at $500 or so for disk recovery.

    Also supposedly only with older disks, if you double Ziploc bag the drive and put it in a freezer overnight, you might be able to recover the drive. I have even heard of somebody lightly knocking their drive on a desk or floor to unstick the arms working to recover the drive readability.

  3. ha14
    December 31, 2012 at 8:17 am

    Start > Run "cmd" launch it with admini rights
    type--> diskpart
    type--> list volume
    type--> select volume #
    type--> attributes disk clear readonly
    type--> x:\>attrib -r /s /d (X= hard drive)

    Type in the following:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk
    (enter the number that corresponds to your USB drive)
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary
    6. select partition 1
    7. active
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. exit

Ads by Google