How do I expand my hard drive’s size using Disk Management in Windows 7?

Anonymous December 12, 2013

Hi I want to expand the size of my C drive from another drive to resolve a low disk space issue. Unfortunately, using Windows 7’s Disk Management utility, when I right click the “extend volume field”, it doesn’t work. I cannot click on it. How do I resolve this issue?

  1. Stephen
    December 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm

    My advice would be to create contiguous space to facilitate the partition extension. It might take you a little longer, but you'll end up with a much neater setup. Furthermore, it can all be done within Disk Management.

    If your configuration is this...
    C = 60GB (Windows)
    D = 140GB (files)
    E = 300GB (unused)

    ...Then, delete the 'E' partition so it is unallocated and create a new 140GB partition from the end of the drive in that unused 300GB portion. Copy over all of your files from the 'D' partition to this new partition and delete the old 'D' partition. You should now have a layout like this...
    C = 60GB (Windows)
    unallocated (300GB)
    E (new) = 140GB (files from previous D; can change drive letter later)

    Defragment your 'C' partition. Third-party defragmenters might give you the option to consolidate files rather than optimize placement. Use "consolidate" instead because this option will move all of the files to the beginning of the partition so nothing is left at the end when you make the partition extension. This reduces the chance of any data loss (moreso when performing a shrink, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious).

    Now, within Disk Management, choose the option to extend the 'C' volume into the unallocated space. Voila!!! You're done!

  2. digipokemon
    December 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

    get EasUS partition Master free. use it to delete/move E drive area on the hard drive and expand the C partition. I think C drive is basically locked from being affected while being in windows itself using Windows parition

  3. DilipKumar
    December 14, 2013 at 4:41 am

    Yes you can Merge E disk with C disk . Use the EaseUS Partition Master Software. It is available for free. You can do this in very simple steps !!!!

  4. Martyn
    December 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm

    I think you have the windows swap file on the drive you are trying to expand - windows won't let you expand it until you move it somewhere else.

  5. edison
    December 13, 2013 at 8:48 pm

    You've already maxed your drive's capacity. Go get a portable drive and put your personal stuff in there.

    • mohammad
      December 14, 2013 at 2:53 am

      Thanks for your advise. I had 500GB drive. And made three partitions, C,D and E drives, C being window operating system drive which was 60GB now, all filled up. It doesn't allow me to move stuff into other drives because C being operating system, all I want to do is to increase capacity of Drive C by merging E into it which is 300GB unused. Is this possible?

  6. Mini S
    December 13, 2013 at 3:07 am

    While, to expand partition, maybe you can try Power Data Recovery.

    • mohammad
      December 13, 2013 at 9:58 pm


    • Mini S
      December 16, 2013 at 6:08 am

      Partition Wizard , not Power Data Recovery

  7. Hovsep A
    December 12, 2013 at 9:52 pm

    how many partitions do you have on your single hard drive

    • mohammad
      December 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm


  8. Oron J
    December 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm

    I'm not sure what you mean by "expand... from another drive". You can 1) JOIN drives or 2) assign a folder on the C: drive to another drive, but you can't just extend one drive to another one, unless 3) they are contiguous partitions on the same hard-drive.

    When the drive you are trying to extend is the system drive, you can't do this out with Windows' build-in software, but you can with a third party partition manager, such as one from Paragon Software, Acronis or EasyUS. As for scenarion no. 2, you can use the "assign" command in DOS or set up a Junction (I suggest you read up on this on the internet as the instructions will be too lengthy to include here).

Ads by Google