I have a HP Pavilion DV6 and was wondering if I can increase the RAM to 8GB? Any ideas how I can do this? Anything I should be aware of when buying laptop RAM?
Go to This site:
h30434.www3.hp.com › Notebook › Upgrades
Is your operating system 64bit? If not you are wasting your time as it wont be recognised.
my system is 64 bit, i hope it will work perfectly or will it be too much for my pc?
According to the manual page 8 and 50
Supports dual-channel memory
PC2-6400, 800-MHz, DDR2
Supports up to 8 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:
? 8192-MB total system memory (4096 MB × 2, dual-channel)
? 6144-MB total system memory (2048 MB × 1 + 4096 MB × 1)
? 4096-MB total system memory (2048 × 2, dual-channel)
? 3072-MB total system memory (2048 × 1024)
? 2048-MB total system memory (1024 × 2, dual-channel)
? 2048-MB total system memory (2048 × 1)
? 1024-MB total system memory (1024 × 1)
go to page 50 follow the guide to add more ram
Before removing the memory module, follow these steps:
1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on,
and then shut it down through the operating system.
2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet and then
unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
4. Remove the battery (see “Battery” on page 4-7).
Remove the memory module:
1. Position the computer with the front toward you.
2. Loosen the three Phillips PM2.5×5.5 captive screws 1 that secure the memory module compartment cover to
3. Lift the rear edge 2 of the cover, swing it up and to the front, and remove the cover 3. The memory module
compartment cover is included in the Plastics Kit, spare part number 511890-001.
4. Spread the retaining tabs 1 on each side of the memory module to release the memory module. (The edge of
the module opposite the slot rises away from the computer.)
5. Remove the memory module 2 by pulling the module away from the slot at an angle.
Reverse this procedure to install a memory module.
to have an idea on ram to be used check Crucial Scanner