How can I replace part of a video?

Chinmay Sarupria June 4, 2013

Is there any way to replace part of a video? Suppose i have a 360p 30 minute-long video. From 6 minutes to 11 minutes there is a song in-between the video, and somehow I have a 1080p HD version of that song.

How can I delete the old low-quality song and replace it with new 1080p HD song?

  1. Cheney G
    September 17, 2013 at 8:40 am

    Replace or edit the videos, you should use a great video editor, windows movie maker is basic for video editing, but for further more editing, you can use moyeamedia video editor, which can help you do much more perfectly.

  2. Oron Joffe
    June 4, 2013 at 2:31 pm

    Tim's answer is very accurate. If you want to change the video, or part of it, you need a video editor. If you're a PC user, try Window Live Movie Maker (sometimes called just "Movie Maker"). It's free (possibly already installed on your computer) easy to use and works well.
    The easiest way to do what you are asking is as follows:
    Start Movie Maker
    Drag the 360 clip into the right hand pane.
    Click on the /Edit tab
    Place the cursor at the beginning of the song (you may need to "zoom in" using the +- icons at the bottom right to get the exact frame), and click [Split]
    Do the same at the end of the song.
    Delete the song with the [Del] or [Backspace] key
    Drag the 1080p into the same location.
    Go back to the /Home tab, click "Save Movie" (on the right) and choose the relevant format. Be prepared to wait a LONG time as saving a "rendered" movie is a very slow process (actual speed depends on your PC, but it will take a lot longer than the length of the clip itself).

  3. Sampath Karunarathne
    June 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm
  4. ha14
    June 4, 2013 at 8:38 am
  5. Tim Brookes
    June 4, 2013 at 5:02 am


    What you are trying to achieve is possible, but it seems a little pointless in the grand scheme of things. Let me explain -

    You have a 360p source video, which will be 360p for the entire duration of the video from 0 minutes to whenever it finishes. This video would be encoded at 360p.

    You have a song at 1080p, which is 1080p for the entirety - encoded in 1080p quality.

    In order to get the benefit of replacing the song with a high quality version you would need to re-encode the whole video at 1080p, including the part which is stuck at 360p. So you would have to start a new video file at 1080p resolution, import the 360p clip, cut out the old song, arrange the video with the new song in the timeline and export at 1080p. For most of the video, this would be pointless as it will be stuck at 360p. Recompressing this video will only further degrade the quality, also.

    For what use do you want this video? A better idea may be through the use of playlists. Try splitting your 360p video into two parts - 0 minutes to 6 minutes, then put your 1080p song in there, then the original video back in but start it at 11 minutes.

    Does this make sense?

    • Chinmay Sarupria
      June 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

      So which software do i need to use to create a new 1080p resolution video file? How to cut out the old song? How to arrange video with new song and export it as 1080p?

    • Tim Brookes
      June 5, 2013 at 1:17 am

      Well that depends on what platform you are using!

      For Windows I'd recommend Virtual Dub:

      There's always Windows Movie Maker too, though it's probably quite limiting.

      For Mac OS X use iMovie or look here: //

      Good luck!

Ads by Google