How can I ensure an Internet connection in a large house?

Danna Bouey June 15, 2013

Changed to Comcast and cannot access Internet in many of the rooms in the house. If you are in the room where the router is located, the connection is very fast. But go in a bedroom, there is no connection.

Any suggestions for a powerful router to cover a three story home around 4, 000 square feet?

  1. Sagar Sanjeev
    June 26, 2013 at 9:29 am

    Wi FI Extenders Are THe Only Option For U

  2. Sagar Sanjeev
    June 26, 2013 at 9:29 am

    Wi FI Extenders Are THe Only Option For U

  3. DalSan M
    June 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm

    I agree with Oron with the Power Line adapters. There are several brands, but most common that I see is by TP-Link. Be aware that the signals go through your electrical power lines so I'm not sure how well they work going from one circuit to another and through the circuit breaker. More information can be found here: Make sure that if you purchase these devices that they can be returned should the performance not be as good as you would like.

    The problem with trying to use a wireless router in a home like you suggest is all of the interference issues (walls, floors, wiring, pipes, appliances, etc.). You probably could go with a very expensive extended range router, but there will usually be dead spots and areas with very low connectivity. Running Ethernet cables throughout the house would offer best results, but it's a major pain to run it properly and neatly. Repeaters and bridges are fairly expensive, but may have similar issues that you are having as well where certain rooms may not have good connectivity.

  4. Oron Joffe
    June 17, 2013 at 9:07 am

    If the house is simply too big, for a single WiFi access point and/or is made of materials which block the signal, you can either wire-up the house with ethernet as Paul suggests, which is technically the best solution, but expensive/difficult, or you can use PowerLine adapters.
    PowerLan works over the power mains circuits and the adapters are very simply to install. At the most basic level, plug one into the mains socket near the router, and connect it to the router using an ethernet cable. Then, in a room without reception, plug in another PowerLine adapter, and voila! you have an ethernet socket you can connect a computer to. There are a variety of PowerLine adapter types, so you can use it to extend your Wifi, to provide multiple ethernet sockets etc. In terms of standards and speeds, anything with an "AV" at the end will communicate at roughly the same speed as a 100mbit ethernet (higher ratings are available, but performance depends a lot on the quality of wiring etc, so don't count on it!).

  5. Paul Pruitt
    June 17, 2013 at 4:07 am

    I got tired of Wifi deadspots and encryption security details. We hard wired the house for Ethernet except for one place which is the dining room used infrequently by guests as an office. Its harder work or more expensive but pays off in simplicity and freedom from worry and headaches. Of course we don't use tablets or other Wifi needing hardware, just PCs and laptops...

  6. dragonmouth
    June 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm

    Sounds to me like the construction materials used in your house are blocking the WiFi signal. What is the location (in relationship to the room with the router) of the rooms where you CAN get a signal? Are they underneath or above? Do they share a common wall? What about the rooms where you CANNOT get a signal? Are they on the other side of the house (are there many walls between router and PC)? Can you get a usable signal outside the house?

    Check out these MUO articles:

    To increase the strength of your signal check out this article:

  7. Patrick J
    June 16, 2013 at 8:09 am

    I would like to add to what Bruce has suggested. Well, when you find the weak spots (you may have figured it out already), get some Raspberry Pi and use them to increase the WiFi coverage of your home. Search it out and you will get many guides on it. Do note that you can do this only by using a USB WiFi dongle in the RPi and it may not deliver you full speeds of your internet connection (if the speed's higher than 100Mbps, common in the case of Comcast, I am jealous!).

    I hope this helps. Good luck!

  8. Jim Chambers
    June 16, 2013 at 1:56 am

    You could try using wireless repeaters or range extenders.

  9. Bruce Epper
    June 16, 2013 at 1:31 am

    Just found the other one I was looking for again. This HeatMapper does an even better job of showing you what your wireless coverage looks like in a home or small business.

  10. Bruce Epper
    June 16, 2013 at 1:25 am

    First things first. Use inSSIDer to map out your home and find out what your signal strength currently looks like. You can also find out if there is another channel you could be using for better coverage with your existing equipment. Based on the data gathered here, you may find that simply changing to a different channel on your current router and/or moving it to different location gives you the coverage that you need. If not, instead of getting a different router and most likely dealing with the exact same scenario, you may be better served by putting in another access point or a repeater instead.

Ads by Google