Do you know a good source for useful and advanced Word and/or Excel tips?

Tilman February 18, 2011

Over the years, I have taken quite a few courses about Microsoft Office, so I do consider myself NOT an expert but a quite comfortable user. I do know the simple stuff. Most of the advanced stuff that I have learned in those courses (or in the books that I have read) are things that I simply don’t need in my day-to-day work.

Yet, I do surprisingly often bump into a situation where I do not know how to do something in Word or Excel. Thus, I need a source of tips/tricks for Word and Excel that do not stick to simple tips but also do not talk about complex analysis that I never need.

Perhaps the best way to define what I want is ‘advanced/unusual uses of the simple tools’. I mean that I don’t need the complicated tools but sometimes I do need a bit more functionalities than what the simple features offer.

I hope somebody has some good ideas :)

Thanks in advance,

1. Felicil

The best free excel tips I've found are here:

Microsoft started to setup some decent support sites for the Office products. also has some decent tutorials for Word and Excel

Much like the functions themself a lot of the cool stuff is hidden around the web for example the Excel Solver ( or Table formatting in Word (, Sample text, etc...

I guess the best tip is not to get too frustrated with Office ~ most of the time you will find a cool solutions or tipp after you have done it using the manual time consuming way.