How can I fix a hard drive that was dropped?

Jack A January 17, 2012

I have a hard drive that fell on the floor. When I connect it, it turns on its LED and the computer recognizes that a USB device is connected, but the drive won’t show. At first the drive would only make a beeping sound. I read somewhere to jiggle it, so I did. Now when I connect the drive it starts rotating and then makes a clicking sound but after a few seconds it stops. Is there any way to fix this drive? I have important files on it.

  1. Anonymous
    January 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

    you can try on mac?

  2. Mike
    January 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

    Beeping and clicking usually indicates that the Hard Drives head suffered some sort of damage. I can only suggest going through professional recovery. 

    Any personal attempt will most likely end up in more damage or even entirely lost data. 

    A repair usually involves taking the drive apart in a class 100 clean room and putting the platters into an identical hard drive case and electronics with working heads. A procedure that usually costs $700 and up depending on the drives storage size.

    January 17, 2012 at 6:24 am

    Hello, can you visit link below and match the sound to the one your harddrive is making?

    Have you tried connecting your harddrive to computer and then start computer with linux live CD?  Sometimes you are able to recover files if linux recognizes drive.  It is worth a shot.  You could try Ubuntu live CD.  You might get lucky and be able to recover your files.  Visit link below and select the Try it from CD or USB stick option:

    or, the following using Ubuntu Rescue Remix:

    Depends on what the damage is, usually if drive is recognized by BIOS, you can recover data. If it is not recognized in BIOS, the chances of recovering data decrease rapidly. You could try using recuva:

    For bad sectors and recovery you could try the following software:

    If linux live CD is not able to recognize your drive and recovery software does not work, you could take it to a professional recovery company so that they can try.  It could be really expensive though...