Why does my DVD drive no longer recognize disks with copy protection?

James March 14, 2011

Whenever I try putting in a rented or basically any copy protected DVD, it won’t play. It would before, though. My computer won’t even recognize that there is a disc in there, although I can hear it spinning.

I tell VLC player to play that drive. After a long period of time with high CPU usage, it will pop up with an error message saying something about copyright issues. I can’t remember what exactly it says and don’t have a DVD at the moment to test with.

So how do I fix this?

And they work on other computers. I have no other dvd drive. I do have daemen tools. I will see if deactivating that works.

The dvds and player are both from the usa

I would try to deactivate any and all tools related to the Optical Drive and or components of it. For example both Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% are known to cause problems with certain copyright protections.

Possible Microsoft puts blocking code to keep you from watching DVDs if you have any DeCSS keys on your machine.

Decrypt Your DVD's Copy Protection with DVD43

The disk is not for the same DVD zone as your DVD drive is configured, and your DVD drive has hardware/firmware protection. There is no solution other than change the DVD drive.
    Your DVD Player is set to some specific region i.e 1 to 8.

Region code Area
    0 Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 1–6 flags set.
    1 Canada, United States; U.S. territories; Bermuda
    2 Western and Central Europe; Western Asia; Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland; British overseas territories, French overseas territories
    3 Southeast Asia; South Korea; Non-mainland China ( Hong Kong)
    4 Oceania; Central and South America; Caribbean; Mexico
    5 Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa, Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea.
    6 Mainland China, Hong Kong
    7 Reserved for future use (found in use on protected screener copies of MPAA-related DVDs and "media copies" of pre-releases in Asia)
    8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.[1]
    ALL Region ALL discs have all 8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any locale on any player.

Have you tried

A) Playing the DVDs on another computer?

B) Using a different DVD drive in your system?