Can you recommend a Picasa-alternative that supports removable media?

Brant Powell January 23, 2013

I have thousands of photos and video clips and am adding more daily with my 16 month old daughter. Seeking a software solution just like Picasa with photo tagging, sorting, descriptions and thumbnails, but support for removable media. Picasa just doesn’t support removable media, unless it has recently changed.

I have seen this in the past with stock photo collections where you get a title, description and thumbnail but to see the full image you have to insert the correct CD. I would love the same functionality but instead of using a CD use the 1tb portable drives I have (5 and counting). Adding 10+ Gigs of more storage to my Alienware laptop unfortunately is not a option.

Even better would be if there was a work around to have removable media support mentioned above for Picasa.

Thank you.

:: Photo Happy Proud Papa

Wow, that's a lot of photos! Although IrfanView and XNView are great programs, I don't think they're up to a a job like this (for one thing, they only allow you to look at one folder at a time). It sounds to me like you need a proper digital asset management package. Two packages I know are:
    ThumbsPlus (
    ACDC Pro (

Good luck!

2. John Kirk

I would review . I use this site alot for finding software.

3. Safvan Vhora

Export for removable media use this site.

4. Daniel Huss

Well that's a lot of photos... while Picasa can handle external drives by adding them in the folder manager, I don't think it's going to be what you're talking about where you can see a preview but need the drive to open it. I'm also not sure how much it might freak out if you end up switching drives often.

here's a bunch of alternatives to picasa Some of the ones I've heard good things about are IrfanView and XnView. Hopefully something on that list will meet your needs.

• BrantleyPowell

To be fair in explaining a great deal of the photos are of my daughter but a growing number are snapshots of things for me to use as a reference when drawing later or are close up photos so i can get the texture and/or color of something. These texture shots i end up using as base textures in 3d map textures or as textures in interface designs.

Can Picasa manage photos on a removable drive?
    Picasa can manage photos stored on the following:
    •Fixed drives
    •External drives
    •Some mapped network drives

Controlling how folders are monitored

Export to removable media
    To export your photos to a piece of hardware (camera, card reader, external drive, etc.), your computer must recognize this hardware as a removable drive.

Rebuilding your Picasa database

Storing Pictures on an External Hard Drive