Can Android phones get damaged by overcharging?

rickarani April 17, 2013

I have an Android phone. Can keeping it in the charger all the time affect it in any way?

  1. Rajesh S
    April 23, 2013 at 7:50 am

    overcharing is the worst issue with andriod device as it discharge very soon , the battery don't even last for one day some time..any ways try close all background apps and off wifi and gprs,data packet when not in use.

  2. Mel Reynolds
    April 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm

    Charge your phone then unplug and turn off your network if you are not using it, it will keep your battery from running down so fast. you can also use wi-fi instead of your network and for me that keeps my battery charged longer which is why most people charge their phones over night esp

  3. Chris Marcoe
    April 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm

    What damages a battery is when you get it hot from charging it. That will make the battery expand. Then, when it is not charging, it cools down, contracting the battery. If you keep something on a charger all the time, when it is a little bit discharged, it will get charged up again. This will constantly happen, meaning your battery will get hot, cold, hot, cold constantly.

    This process will greatly reduce the capacity of your battery and also the life of the battery. That's why many (most?) phones will beep when they hit the full mark. It's a good thing to take it off at that point.

  4. Athul Jayaram
    April 18, 2013 at 6:23 am

    Yes you have may use some apps to limit the battery charging on your android.... but dont worry only battery get bad not your phone

  5. ha14
    April 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm

    bump charging will wear your battery faster

    modern phones and batteries will stop charging when the battery is full (will cut off the power once it has been fully charged, overcharging protection), charging circuit have hardware protection, but heating and pour ventilation can cause damage.

    • rickarani
      April 18, 2013 at 6:50 am

      Thanks ha14 the article explains it all and I will now try the CurrentWidget on my smartphone and see the results

  6. DalSan M
    April 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm

    Overheating issues and battery wear are the main issues with having any electronic device plugged in. If there is a surge of power that flows through the device, then that can cause damages. As long as it doesn't overheat, then I don't see much issue with leaving your phone plugged in. Besides, most electronics have built-in protections from overcharging the batteries. They stop charging when full, then start charging after a small percentage of battery life is used.

Ads by Google