The Network Setup:
In building 1: I have a Comcast cable modem that plugs in to a Netgear 24 port switch (model: FS524). From there I have like 5 desktops, a Office Printer, A Linksys Wireless N Router (model: E1200). Then from the 24 port switch I have cat 5e line going to building 2 to a patch panel and then it plugs in to a 5 port netgear switch (model: GS105).
I think the problem I am having is the 100 foot cable that runs to building 2 seems to not have enough power or signal strength. If I take my laptop in building 2 and connect directly to patch panel without the switch I’m able to get on the web. However, when I plug in the 5 port switch and connect the laptop to that it wont get me on the web.
- – The one day I was working on the system the network was going out a few times throughout the day. Which I make me wonder if the switch is losing power maybe trying to handle all the traffic on it and trying to handle the 100 ft Cat cable.
- – The 5 port switch is brand new and works
- – The last two days the 24 port switch has been working okay
- – I have not been able to hook up the access point yet!!
What I Tested:
- – I tested the cable by creating another 100 ft. 5e cable to see if something was wrong with the cable and that’s not the case because it was doing the same thing as the cable in the ground.
- – I bypassed the 24 port Switch in building 1 by plugging the external 100 ft. cable to the Comcast modem and then plugged it in to the 5 port switch in building 2 then to my laptop and I was able to get on. However when I try to plug the Linksys Wireless router to the switch and then from linksys to my laptop it doesn’t pull an IP address.
- – I tested the 5 port switch with my laptop in building 1 connected directly to the 24 port switch with a 7ft cable and it worked fine.
- – I called Netgear and they say its a legacy problem that the cable is to long. But I find it hard to believe because the cables only maybe 100 feet. I thought a cat 5e cable can go as far as about 300 feet.
- – I tested the Linksys N Router and that works fine. It is also brand new.
Maybe the cable is to long and because of the 24 port switch having so much activity it can’t push enough signal to the other building. If so what would you recommend me do to get this to work?
What are your thoughts? Has anyone had something like this and what did you do to fix it?