Merriam-Webster is a hugely popular general purpose dictionary, which contains definitions for almost any word in American English vocabulary. If you did not already know, they also have a dictionary in visual format called Visual Dictionary. It is a free all-in-one online dictionary from Merriam-Webster, which contains images to over 20,000+ different concepts and words. Not only it provides with word definitions but also with colorful word images, related concepts, pronunciation, and more.
It is useful in cases where you have heard a word/concept many times but want to actually see with your eyes to fully comprehend it. Like, for example, the different between the “American plug” and “European plug”, what exactly a dam is or where the liver is located in the human digestive system etc.
Browse visual definitions by category – Anatomy, Earh, Plants & gardening, clothing etc or search using the search bar at the top. For every word or concept view related words along with their description and images. For every word click on the icon to hear its correct pronunciation. Most importantly, it is free to browse the words, view the images from a single interface. No registration or sign in is required.
- Visual dictionary from Merriam-Webster
- Playback term pronunciations, find object images, and view related words, diagrams and images
- Browse Dictionary by subject: Astronomy, Earth, Gardening, Animals, Humans, Food, House, Clothing, Arts & architecture, Communications, Machinery, Energy, Science, Society, and Sports.
- Over 20,000 terms with contextual definitions and about 6,000 full-color images
- Simple, easy to use interface
- No registration or sign in required
Check out Visual Dictionary @ www.visualdictionaryonline.com