10 Most Downloaded Windows Browsers [Movers & Shakers]
Once again, this week it’s time for Movers and Shakers – a column where we take a software category and cover the most downloaded apps in that genre. This week, we are looking at web browsers. These are the apps that can be used on your Windows machine to get on the Internet and browse sites like MakeUseOf.com.
|Weighing in at first place, raking in 22,317,229 downloads of all time just from CNET and over 104,000 downloads this week is my favorite web browser Firefox. Firefox is very versatile and allows for great add-ons and plug-ins.|
|Internet Explorer is in second place. It has had a little over 11 million downloads from CNET of all time and 67,000 or so this week. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, is their flagship browser which has made great strides over the last decade. I have even found myself using IE 8 from time to time!|
|And in 3rd place, we have a relative newcomer when it comes to how long they have been in the game. Google’s browser Chrome is simply awesome and is making great headway at catching up to the other top two. They are slowly grabbing a nice percentage of the browsing market.|
|I have personally never used Avant. Avant is built on the IE 7 rendering engine with some additional skins and magic to speed it up. People use it as an alternative to using Internet Explorer. With over 26 million downloads a lot of people must be using it!|
|In fifth place, we have another personal favorite of mine ““ Opera. Opera which has been an innovator in new browser technology is still a step ahead of the game. Opera is loved by techies and geeks everywhere!|
- SlimBrowser A browser that prides itself on customization. You can create a slim minimalistic browser with SlimBrowser but by default its interface is a little clunky.
- Internet Explorer 9 IE9 is a technical preview of what is to come. You can check out the marvels that Microsoft is doing to keep up with the competition and dare we say ““ Innovate?
- Windows Internet Explorer 8 for MSN (Windows XP) Here we see a version of Internet Explorer 8 that is customized for Windows XP and MSN. If you find yourself using both of them you might really like this one.
- Apple Safari In ninth place, we have an Apple product that I really do not like on Windows. Safari brings a little bit of the Mac to your Windows Platform. I find it to be slow, clunky and it messes with Windows settings.
- Netscape Navigator In tenth place, we have a browser that I didn’t know still existed. Netscape Navigator was my browser of choice prior to the invention of Firefox. I thought that they went under a long while back. Maybe we will see them making a comeback in 2011!