This week: Bill Gates argues that giving the entire world Internet access won’t magically cure poverty. That jerk! Reddit’s “Politics” community is blocking entire sites, leaving them only asking why. And why South Korea, with Internet speeds that dwarf the USA, still mostly uses the web’s worst browser: Internet Explorer.
This week’s show is brought to you by Bitdefender’s Clueful for iOS. It is the world’s first and only way to really understand how iOS apps treat user’s privacy. Installed apps are easy to analyze for understanding of the privacy-associated concerns that may affect you.
As always, the headlines
- Bill Gates: The Internet is not going to save the world. That takes a lot of people working hard to solve problems.
- Adblock Plus now blocks more than ads, including Facebook “like buttons”.
- What it’s like when r/politics blocks your entire site.
- We were wrong: badBIOS is probably the most terrifying malware of all time.
- South Korea still uses mostly Internet Explorer, because online shopping doesn’t work without ActiveX. Whoa.
- Oops: turns out Brazil’s been spying on America, which makes their previous complaining seems silly.
- US Government working with Coursera to offer free classes around the world. Trying to make yourself look better, eh?
- Silicon Valley’s arrogance problem: some seriously think they should split off the USA.
- DNA evidence shows many herbal medicines are just rice and weeds, containing none of the supposedly beneficial ingrediants.
- Turns out . That’s…boring. (James nailed it!)
- Microsoft is killing the Skype API. Like third party add-ons? Too bad!
- Especially for Justin: it’s like uber for friends!
- Sweetie is a 3d generated virtual child being used to gather intel those who abuse children via webcams.
- No more dirty Nintendo notes for you, unless you’re next to the other person in reality.
- COD Ghosts will run at 720p on XBone, 1080p on PS4. Oh dear. Lazy developers, or crappy hardware?
- Lots of people bought Ghosts on current gen.
- Something the ps4 can’t / won’t / doesn’t need to do: erect a huge version of itself in Vancouver, hide a ton of zombies inside.
- At least it’s not as bad as Nintendo: another stunning quarter with 18.4 BILLION loss (in yen, but still: that’s $187 million)
- Play with Windows 1, right now, in your browser.
Of course, we also have feedback from our listeners and plenty of other nonsense.