This week we sit down with Tyler Renelle, creator of motivational role-playing game HabitRPG. We’ll ask him which gamification system he used to motivate himself to create a gamification system. We highlight the best place to watch pandas online, right now. And a record number of people are using DuckDuckGo to avoid being spied on, but does it actually help?
Three longtime MakeUseOf contributors – James Bruce, Justin Pot and Justin Pot – have on over 70 different occasions sat down from three different time zones and discussed the week’s technology and gaming news. Well, we tried – we got distracted along the way arguing about everything from the proper way to pronounce the word aluminum to the practicality of weather balloons for Internet connectivity. It’s a good thing you kept us on track: fans provided stories on our Facebook page, and at least one fan made a dubstep remix of the show.
This week’s episode is brought to you by BitDefender Antivirus for Mac.
Think Macs don’t catch viruses? Think again! Although Macs are traditionally believed to be less prone to cyber-criminal attacks, recent developments have shown that malware writers are concentrating more and more on finding vulnerabilities in MacOS and popular Mac applications. Stay safe with Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac!
- Free phone calls back in Google Hangouts.
- Twitter fixes some things it should have fixed years ago. DM status now syncs on all devices, and Mac app gets improvements
After the news, we sit down and talk with Tyler Renelle about HabitRPG, his interesting tool designed to help you win at life through gamification.
From Around MakeUseOf
- Hulu’s owners decide not to sell, to invest more. Great news for cord cutters.
- Claim the Yahoo ID you always wanted!
- Japanese government forgets to check “private” in Google Groups, leaks internal conversation.
- Students love math and science until they find out they’re hard.
- NSA scandal drives record number of users to DuckDuckGo. I like to think it was us talking about it that did it.
- Avielle foundation hoping to locate genes for violence.
- Assassin’s Creed 2 free on Xbox Live.
- MS hints that family sharing could return – possibly has something to do with petition by “gamers” to bring back features killed by move away from online DRM.
- 5 year Visas for League of Legends players.
Don’t forget to subscribe to us on iTunes. And while you’re there, feel free to leave us a review!