A stolen laptop can be a disaster for anyone. Not only do you lose an expensive gadget, but thieves can also find critical data in your laptop like bank records, passwords, and confidential documents.
We need all possible avenues to track and recover our stolen laptop. Fortunately, Prey is a free and lightweight app that finds your laptop if it gets stolen by remotely reporting the whereabouts of your laptop.
Once installed, Prey sits silently in your system only to be activated remotely when you actually want it to run. Once active, Prey will send scheduled reports with some information to help you track the laptop such as a list of running programs, connections, wifi and network information, and a screenshot of the desktop. The app can also activate the webcam to take a photo of the thief.
Prey forces the connection to an open wi-fi hotspot to send the information and help you locate the device. Once you sign up, you can use the Prey Control Panel to check the status online and control your laptop remotely. Of course, Prey works only if your laptop goes online.
Prey is one of the few apps that people should not mind running in the background. By adding a layer of security that Prey provides, you have a chance to recover your laptop.
- Free, open-source, and lightweight.
- Advanced users can add modules.
- Provide powerful reports such as running uptime, open windows, and screenshot of the desktop.
- Can take the picture remotely with the webcam.
- Lets you send message to the thief remotely.
- Prey Control Panel helps manager your laptop remotely.
- Laptop can be located through WiFi hotspots.
- Similar Tools: LAlarm, Adeona, and Firefound.
Check out Prey Project @ www.preyproject.com