The default font managers for Windows and Mac leave a lot to be desired, which is why an alternative font management utility can prove extremely useful.
myFontBook is a free online app that helps you view and manage all your fonts with ease. It runs in the browser, so you can use it on any platform: Windows, Mac, or Linux.
myFontBook includes advanced font management features which can help designers save time. Previewing the right font is just the start. Launch your browser and let’s nose around the features.
View Your Font Collection in Your Web Browser
You can try the Demo without registration or sign into the tool for some extra benefits. Either way, myFontBook is free to use. It’s also dead simple. Launch myFontBook and give it a few minutes on creating the catalog of your installed fonts. As you can guess, the general look has been “borrowed” from iTunes.
You can go to work as soon as the fonts are arrayed before you. Try these 6 tools.
- List and Swatch Views — Use the more visual swatch view to go over your collection quickly. Or switch to the list view to see each typeface with expanded sample text.
- Body Text — Use a sample of the selected typeface in a paragraph when a single line of example text doesn’t cut it.
- Proof Sheet — How will it look on paper? Print with a selected font and several style samples to see how a specific font looks on paper. It’s like a “contact sheet” for fonts that can also reveal hidden glyphs in the fonts.
- Glyphs Viewer — A glyph gives each font its characteristic appearance. It is the variety of designs found for a specific character. Scan your fonts to find the glyph you want with the viewer.
- Metrics — Designers need to focus on the details and how each font will render precisely. The Metrics view gives the letter spacing and line height for each font.
- Tags & Favorites — This single feature can help you manage an exhaustive list of fonts for any project. Organize fonts with tags for a project. You can also rate your fonts so that you can narrow down to the best one in quick time.
An Independent Platform for Your Fonts
You want to download beautiful fonts and use them — you don’t need to install another program to manage them all. You also don’t need to pay a dime. All you need is an adequate web connection and a browser to bring all your fonts in one place.
What about you? Are their better online font viewers and organizers?
Image Credit: guteksk7 via Shutterstock