Solar and wind power are the most popular choices when it comes to renewable energy. If you are planning on using one of these power sources in your home, then In My Backyard will serve as a great tool that estimates solar & wind energy potential.
In My Backyard is an online tool offered by the NREL – National Renewable Energy Laboratory. You start using In My Backyard by entering your address. The site locates the address on a map and asks you to select either solar or wind power. Next you draw on the map the region where you will install solar panels or the point where your wind generator will be placed.
According to your selected energy and your region’s amount of sunshine intensity or wind intensity the site will provide an impressive estimate of various quantities. These quantities provide information on the power output and initial cost of your system and how long it will take for you to recover the system’s cost. This information can greatly help in determining whether or not your renewable energy plans will be economical.
- A user friendly web tool.
- Lets you estimate power output of renewable energy.
- Supports solar and wind power.
- Helps determine if your renewable energy plans will be worth it.
- Similar tools: RoofRay, Google PowerMeter, AppliancesEnergyUse, HomeEnergySaver, FuelCharts and MicrosoftHohm.
- Also read related articles:10+ Websites To Keep You Updated On Green News
10 Search Engines To Help The Environment
5 Sites And Tips on How to Go Green and Save Money
Check out In My Backyard @ www.mercator.nrel.gov/imby