Every blog should include a search feature. If a reader has to click on every page or in every category to find what they are looking for then they may leave out of frustration. Adding a search feature will make your reader happy and it is easy to do.
Many of the Blogger templates do not include a search box. These simple instructions will show you how to add one to your blog.
Note: These instructions are for Blogger.com (Blogspot) blogs.
Follow these simple instructions:
1. Log into your Blogger.com account.
2. Click the Layout tab from your blog Dashboard.
3. Click Page Elements.
4. Click Add a Gadget above the section you want to put your search box in.
6. Type Search this site (or whatever you want) in the Title box or leave it blank.
7. Copy and paste this HTML code in the text area.
- To modify the width of the search box change the size=”XX” number.
- To center the search box add <center> before <form… and </center> after </form>.
<form id=”searchthis” action=”/search” style=”DISPLAY: inline” method=”get”><input id=”search-box” name=”q” size=”25″> <input id=”search-btn” value=”Search” type=”submit”></form>
7. Click Save.
8. Click Preview.
9. You may have to drag the search gadget into a new area until you get it positioned where you want it to show on the blog.
10. To test the search functionality click View Blog.
Now you have a simple way for viewers to search your blog and the results will appear embedded in your blog so the reader isn’t taken off onto a new page or a site that doesn’t look like yours.