Geeks need to shoot files over to someone all the time – video clips, movies, pictures, games distros, software programs etc. Most of the email providers restict you with a max. 10-20 MB attachments so sending files by email isn’t an option. Additionally, there are so many file sharing tools out there that sending large files as an email attachment became rather outdated.
Here you’ll find 5 file sharing services that standout from the rest and incorporate some unique features in one online application. These can be: extremely easy upload/organize/access features, anonymity, browser integration, etc.
(1) [NO LONGER WORKS] Drop.io – Anonymous and Private File Sharing
Drop.io is a terrific private file sharing and collaboration service. It is a great way to share video, photos, audio, docs etc. What would make your hearts burst with joy is the no-registration aspect. No email, no personal details or names – nothing! You are free to create as many drops (as they call it) as you want. Then, just shoot a link over to your pal and that’s it!
- Supports all major file formats (docs, images, videos, music, etc.).
- Create as many drops as you want (storage boxes).
- Get a custom email address for each created drop: email@example.com.
- Use firstname.lastname@example.org email address to add files to drops by emailing them.
- It has a 100MB / drop storage limit.
(2)– Document Storage and Sharing
Online document storage and sharing service from Adobe. It’s pretty and simple. After you register, they provide you 1GB worth of online storage space for your documents. The service allows you to share documents either with a list of named contacts or with everyone on the web. All you need to have is an Adobe ID, which you can get.
- View all the documents you have shared or received in one place.
- Access your documents from any system.
- Post a link to (or embed) your document on a blog or wiki.
- Send documents without email attachments.
- Supported document formats: Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007, RTF, Open Office formats, PDF, image files, SWF, and more.
If looks don’t really matter and you need something with a lot more features (document viewing, editing, collaboration, etc.) then check out Google Docs.
(3) [NO LONGER WORKS] AllPeers – Sharing Files Straight from the Browser
AllPeers is cross-platform (Win, Mac, Linux) Firefox extension that lets you easily share files and webpages with friends right from the browser sidebar. It’s a feature-rich file sharing software that is fully-integrated with your Firefox browser. If you share files on a regular basis with lots of different people then definitely check AllPeers out.
You can also drop by, it also works from the browser but way more simpler. Nothing to install or download, you simply select the file you want to transfer, get a pick-up code and send it over to recipient for pick-up.
(4)– Quick Mid-sized File Sharing
Awesome tool to send messages, share mid-sized files (up to 10 MB) and links, plan upcoming events and more. Only the people you choose get to see what you send. It can be accessed from the web or via desktop client. The free account has some file-size limitations – upto 10 MB in size, Premium gives you 100 MB file-size, ad-riddance, and a wider variety of themes.
- Access Pownce directly from your desktop using desktop clients (Windows, Mac, will be available for Linux soon)
- Note: To create an account you need to get invited by existing member. To get invite go to [NO LONGER WORKS] InviteShare.
(5) [NO LONGER WORKS] DivShare – Unlimited File Sharing for Heavy Users
Another widely popular online file storage and sharing service. No storage limits. No download limits. Your files stay online forever. Integrate DivShare into WordPress, Facebook and even your iPhone! Blogs can quickly and easily add their name, URL and logo to their hosted file pages via the dashboard.
- Create and share professional slideshows using your video, audio, and image files.
- Embed videos on your blog using Divshare video flayer.
- All files stay online as long as you want.
Got another good file sharing application? Share it in comments.