Now, Google Docs support something called creating forms. It lets you create interactive forms, using which you can get a hold of other people’s opinions. While all that is great, we’ll talk about a completely different, awesome use case for Google Docs today.
Within a few, not so laborious minutes, we are going to set up an easy system to keep track of your personal finances. So here’s how you can go about keeping a track of your expenses, using Google Docs, and Gmail.
- The first step would obviously be to go to the Google Docs website and sign-in with your Google credentials.
- Next, you need to click on “Create New” and select “Spreadsheet” from the drop the drop-down list that appears. You will get a workspace similar to the one shown below.
- Now, you are going to create a form, which you will use to submit your transactions to the spreadsheet. Click on “Form > Create a Form”
- Next up, you need to add some fields to the form. Remember that this is going to be a record of your expenses. So, put in relevant fields; such as date, charge amount, payment method, description, comments, etc. For this example, we are going to have three fields, namely Date, Amount, and Payment Method.
- Finally, save the form. After saving, click on “Email This Form” towards the top to email it to your Gmail account.
- Now, go to your Gmail Inbox. Make sure you’ve the “Quick Links” labs plugin enabled to make the best use of this method. Click on the green labs icon at the top and click “Enable” next to the Quick Links option. Also make sure that the “Google Docs Preview in Gmail” labs feature is enabled. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page.
- Open the email you just received from Google Docs. Once it’s open, click on “Add Quick Link” from your Quick Links sidebar.
- The final result will be something similar to what is shown below.
That’s all there is to it! From now on, whenever you have a new transaction that you need to track, all you need to do is fire up your Gmail Inbox, and click on the Quick Link to the form in your sidebar. Once your form opens up, fill it in and click Submit to make an entry into the spreadsheet associated with your form.
At the end of the month, all you need to do to track your personal finances is open up the spreadsheet in Google Docs to get a consolidated view of all your important transactions. If you want, you can play around with the theme of the form when you are designing it. However you shouldn’t bother too much about that aspect, since the form would be mainly used by yourself.
There’s no doubt that Google Docs is an awesome tool to be productive. All you need to do is think of creative and inspiring ways to use it. If you’ve got an interesting use for Google Docs, lets hear it in the comments.
Image Credit :.