Download.com is my primary location for all software needs. As I got used to the site over the years, I never really bothered to check up on the homepage updates and developments. So yesterday, I somehow ended up on the site’s main page and discovered that there are some cool features I never saw before. Check them out below:
- : Llists free software based on ratings. List includes freeware alternatives to almost anything ranging from spyware to office software (ex. Open Office – according to some folks it’s even bettert than Microsoft Office)
- : Lists most favorite software rated by users, includes both free and non-free programs.
- : Lists software based on editors’ reviews.
- Most popular software: Lists most popular programs based on the number of downloads.
- Most popular games Lists variety of PC games, mostly free.
- RSS feeds: Wide range of feed subscription options. (Get new software notifications directly into your Feedreader)
In case you aren’t familiar with Download.com, it is a software directory and software review site from where you can freely download almost any available software for Windows, Mac and mobile devices. You don’t need to register in order to use it, simply search and download anything you want. To locate a particular program you can either use site’s search option or browse down via program categories. Search results are ranked based on the user ratings. For each listed item you can see user reviews and the number of times it was downloaded. There is also an option to filter results by program category, operating system, license type (free, trial, paid) and file size.