Kongregate.com is one of the largest destinations for Flash games – claiming to have a library of over 15,000 available games. This library, while readily accessible on the Internet, has no offline alternative – and even with Aibek’s tips on downloading flash games, Kongregate stumps us all.
There seemed to be no way to play Kongregate games offline. Until now.
We’re going to show you how to download Kongregate games and play them locally on your computer.
Download Kongregate Games
- Open up Firefox and head over to Kongregate. Click Tools > Live HTTP Headers. In the resulting window, switch to the Generator tab. Check request and uncheck images and CSS on the right side. Make sure Capture is checked at the bottom.
- Load game you want to download, and watch the Live HTTP Headers window fill with entries. Uncheck Capture when the game starts to load (or you’ll be bogged down with a large number of irrelevant entries). Look for the following pattern:
#request# GET http://chat.kongregate.com/gamez/[numbers]/[numbers]/live/[game-name].swf?kongregate_game_version=[numbers]
For our example, we’re going to use the Little Wheel game. Our entry appeared like this:
#request# GET http://chat.kongregate.com/gamez/0004/8108/live/littlewheel.swf?kongregate_game_version=1244712350
- Right click and Copy the entry.
Paste it into Firefox, remove #request# GET from the URL, and when the page loads you should be greeted by the Flash game filling the whole window. Hit File > Save Page As and select a location to download. It should save as a swf file.
Playing the Game
Head over to where you saved the Flash game and Open With… > Mozilla Firefox. There are two possible outcomes:
- The game opens fine and perfectly. You’re at the end of the article. This is the case with Little Wheel.
- The game opens, but the game doesn’t work or a message displays telling you to go to Kongregate. You’ll need to follow the next part of the tutorial, which requires XAMPP. XAMPP will emulate a web site so we can trick the Flash game into believing it’s operating on Kongregate.com. In the video tutorial below, we’ve used the Fantastic Contraption game, which doesn’t work without this following step.
- Grab the Self Extracting ZIP Archive from the XAMPP download page. Double-click the extractor, and let it place the files at C: (it’ll create a folder called “xampp” automatically). Don’t be creative with the path, by sticking to a top level folder you skip a step.
- Head into C:\xampp\htdocs and create a folder called kongregate.com
- Move the Flash game file (swf) into the newly created folder (C:xampp\htdocs\kongregate.com)
- Run C:\xampp\xampp-control.exe and fire up the Apache server by clicking Start next to where it says Apache. It should say Running once you click it, as seen in the screenshot below
- Direct your browser to http://localhost/kongregate.com/. You’ll be greeted by minimalistic list of files in the directory. Click on the Flash game you put into the folder. If all goes well, it should work perfectly – the game should fill up the Firefox window.
To further clarify the steps above, I’ve prepared a short video tutorial:
That’s it for saving Kongregate games to your computer and playing offline. If you have any questions or aware of any easier way to download Kongregate games, feel free to tell us your thoughts in the comments below.
For more post on flash games, check out: