Do You Actually Shop On Black Friday? [MakeUseOf Poll]

Ads by Google

Last week we asked which is the best free anti-virus out there. Many of you voted for your favorite software, and at the end it came down to an extremely close battle between Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials. Curious which one came first? Read on to find out!

Out of 2,218 votes in total, 0.5% voted for Lavasoft’s free anti-virus solution, 4.5% chose Malwarebytes (despite it not being technically an anti-virus!), 8% voted for Avira, 16% chose AVG as the best free solution, and with a difference of only 5 votes, Microsoft Security Essentials pulled forward for a last-minute win over Avast, both of them getting 33% of the votes. 6% of the readers voted for an option not mentioned in the poll.

Full results and this week’s poll after the jump.

poll-results-nov-24

This week’s poll question is: Do You Actually Shop On Black Friday?

Want to make some extra MakeUseOf reward points? The most useful comment on the poll will be awarded 150 points!

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving Day in the US, is the first official day of Christmas shopping, and as such, it’s known for its huge sales both online and in brick and mortar stores. Despite it being an American tradition, Black Friday has spread to other places in the world, where it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving and everything to do with shopping. Most big stores and many small ones offer pretty good deals on Black Friday, but do you really take advantage of them? Are you an avid Black Friday shopper who stands in lines outside stores for a good deal? Do you keep your Black Friday shopping to online stores? Or maybe you don’t care about Black Friday at all? It’s time to vote!

Do you even have Black Friday in your country? What do you think about the Black Friday sales tradition? Tell us your thoughts in the comments.

Comments (17)
  • Mac Witty

    The good thing with online shopping is that we can use the US Black Friday as there is no such thing in Sweden.

  • phritzg

    I almost never shop on Black Friday, but a couple years ago I was able to get a brand new Seagate 2 TB external hard drive for 59.99. I still haven’t seen an equivalent deal on storage to this day.

  • Dave Parrack

    Black Friday appears to have come to the UK, even though I’m sure most people are confused as to its origin.

    I hate crowds and increasingly hate consumerism so it’s not for me. I’d rather do my research and only buy what I need when I need it.

  • Raj B

    Used AVG then switched to Avast now back at AVG. But the paid internet security version. (=
    Doing the rounds in terms of all in one.
    Used Norton, Kaspersky, AVG then I think…. Well I’m not sure yet! xD

  • dragonmouth

    While reviewing the Black Friday fliers I received in my Thursday’s paper, I noticed that 99% of Black Friday prices were no different than the usual sale prices. The remaining 1% of prices were super low but they all were on items of very limited availability (no more than 5 per store). It’s not worth losing your health or your life fighting for those items.

Load 10 more
Affiliate Disclamer

This review may contain affiliate links, which pays us a small compensation if you do decide to make a purchase based on our recommendation. Our judgement is in no way biased, and our recommendations are always based on the merits of the items.

For more details, please read our disclosure.
Affiliate Disclamer

This review may contain affiliate links, which pays us a small compensation if you do decide to make a purchase based on our recommendation. Our judgement is in no way biased, and our recommendations are always based on the merits of the items.

For more details, please read our disclosure.