If you own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, you may have noticed that Apple released a software update last week. Then again, it was Thanksgiving so you may have missed it. In either case this is exciting news because chances are good that your iOS device is getting some extra capabilities.
This major software update includes multitasking, a unified inbox, folders, a game center, AirPlay & AirPrint, and is a significant upgrade for iPad and company.
Let’s take a look at what Apple has released with this new update. Nancy will shortly be reviewing iOS 4.2 on the iPad properly but for the moment, here is a quick overview.
What’s New In 4.2?
iOS 4.2 brings over 100 new features to iPad from the 4.0 release, making it “a completely new product, just in time for the holiday season”, as Steve Jobs succinctly put it.
Here’s a list of the main feature additions:
- Multitasking - iPad users can now run their favorite apps and switch between them instantly, while preserving iPad’s battery life.
- Folders – Users can organize their apps with drag-and-drop simplicity using Folders.
- Unified Inbox – Mail now features a Unified Inbox, fast inbox switching, and a threaded message view.
- Game Center – Allows iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch users to challenge and play friends or be matched automatically with new opponents, showcase their scores/achievements, and see what their friends are playing.
- AirPlay – A new feature for streaming music, video, and photos wirelessly from iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch to Apple TV. iOS users also will be able to use AirPort Express and AirPlay to stream wirelessly to any stereo or powered speakers.
- AirPrint – A next-generation Wi-Fi print architecture that dramatically simplifies printing by completely eliminating printer drivers. iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to any printer that supports AirPrint.
As you can see, this update significantly changes how you’ll be using your iOS devices, especially your iPad. Apple really pulled out all the stops with this release and it will be interesting to see what future releases have in store for Apple fanboys and girls.
What do you think of this new release?
More articles about: