Valentine’s Day, the holiday that is all about reminding the person you love of just how much you mean it, is right around the corner. Some call it a “Hallmark Holiday” as it’s a day that seems to be all about giving gifts, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong to get in the spirit and have a little fun giving your better half a little something special for the occasion.
What do you do if your significant other is a gamer? Simple, get something that is not only romantic, but that directly relates to their favorite hobby. This way you incorporate their favorite things; their feelings about you, and their love of video games. It’s a win-win for everyone.
This might seem kind of obvious, but a great place to start is with some romantic video games. We’ve already looked at some of the best love stories ever told in gaming, so that might be a great place to start, but there’s some other games where love is a very central theme, and if you want a gift that both shows your softer side while giving the gamer in your life something new and fun to play, the games that follow are great choices:
- The Sims 3: While not a pure romance game, a huge part of The Sims consists of finding a person to live with and raising a family together. There is plenty of flirting, kissing, and all kinds of Valentine’s Day themes throughout the series, and if your better half gets bored, they can always lock their Sims in a room with no doors and see how that plays out.
- Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties: We are going way back to 1994 for this one, and we are looking at a console that no one actually cared about called the 3DO. This full-motion video game tells the tale of John and Jane and their journey of love. Is it a good game? No. Is it romantic. Sure.
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game: This is a game that is all about fighting off evil ex boyfriends. If that’s not romantic, I just don’t know what is. Show your significant other that you are willing to fight from them, at least in video game form.
Of course, there are plenty of other romantic games out there, but these will steer you in the right direction. Get creative. Think outside of the box, and you just might end up snagging the coolest Valentine’s Day present ever.
Video Game Jewlery
Who doesn’t want to receive some jewellery on Valentine’s Day? It’s a staple of gift-givers the world over, so why not run out and get some jewellery that is a little less generic and little more awesome in the form of some video game related bling:
- Triforce Earings: The Triforce is the very backbone of the best video game franchises, The Legend of Zelda. It also happens to be gold, which makes it perfectly suited to jewellery. Instead of boring diamond studs or big hoops, why not grab a pair of these and do things a little differently this year.
- PlayStation Button rings: Any Sony fan knows the four iconic PlayStation face buttons; Circle, Square, Triangle, and X. With this set of rings, your other half can represent their love for PlayStation everywhere they go, and since it’s jewellery, it still falls under the romantic gift category.
If you’re really feeling creative, why not take the time to make some video game jewellery yourself? After all, no gift is better than one straight from the heart.
While getting a game or jewellery will make many people happy, some desire a gift that’s a little bit more odd and creative. If your loved one is of this mindset, then these weird gifts should suit them perfectly:
- Custom Minecraft level: Who says a gift needs to be in the real world? Why not design your love a Minecraft level that shows him or her how much you care. Check out this cool Valentine’s Day themed level for some inspiration, and make something that you know will truly speak to your Valentine.
- Loot Crate subscription: What’s better than receiving random gaming nonsense once? Receiving it every single month of the year, of course. That’s where Lootcrate.com comes into play, as it lets you sign up to receive a new crate of random awesomeness every month. It’s the gamer gift that keeps on giving!
Gaming greeting cards
Why not send your Valentine a card that is perfectly themed to gaming? After all, if you want something cool to go with your gift, you might as well make sure the card keeps the theme going strong.
- Zelda Card: This classic Zelda card shows them how you feel as they refill your heart, thus keeping you alive and ending the annoying beeping sound you hear when low on hearts. It’s the perfect companion to any gift, or a possible gift idea on its own.
- Konami Code: Does up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start mean something to you? If it does, you will love this card, which features the famous Konami code on the front, and a cute little message inside.
Happy Valentines Day!
Enjoy the upcoming holiday! Make it a fun one for your Valentine with these interesting gamer-themed gifts!
What are you planning on getting your better half for Valentine’s Day? Did any of these gamer gifts tickle your fancy?