Here you go, free and easy-to-setup screen-sharing and remote-access tools. There are several ways you can benefit from these apps: (1) Remote-Control: Help out your friend or mom with PC problems remotely, (2) Screen-Sharing: Collaborate on running programs and documents with friends. (3) Remote-Access: Access your PC files from work, school, etc.
Screen-Sharing and Remote-Collaboration Apps
1. CrossLoop – secure, easy-to-setup, screen-sharing application for your Windows desktop.
- Share your screen sessions with others.
- Share/Collaborate on running programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) with friends or colleagues.
- File transfer and sharing.
- Available in more than 20 languages.
CrossLoop Video intro:
2. TeamViewer – slightly more complicated than Crossloop (not for dummies) but provides more or less same capabilities. Remote desktop sharing, collaboration, file transfer, chat, etc. You (the sharer) can decide whether you want to share the desktop or just allow the file transfer. More details can be found here.
3. Yuuguu – little desktop application (Mac, Windows) that lets you (a) share your screen with others, (b) collaborate on running programs with friends, and (c) access and control someone’s PC (friends, family, etc.) . Yuuguu comes with in-built chat application that allows you to store and keep history of all Yuuguu conversations online.
4. Unyte Lyte – Offers simple screen-sharing without any remote-control capability. Basically, the only thing you can do with it is to invite someone and guide them through documents, websites, etc. On the other hand, it can be integrated into your Skype client.
To Access your PC remotely
5. SoonR – access your PC remotely using your mobile or any other PC (work, school, etc.). Search files, view/share documents (PowerPoint, Word docs, etc.), access email clients (Outlook, Mac Mail, etc.), run your Skype client, and lots more right from your mobile or any web-enabled PC. Check it out in action in the video below:
6. [NO LONGER WORKS] FolderShare – free utility from beloved Microsoft :-), allows you to access your PC remotely (from work, school, etc.), share files (read/write) with others, and sync. files across multiple computers.
- Share files up to 2 GB in size. No restrictions on bandwidth or number of files.
- Sync any file type: files are synced and transferred in their original format.
- Supported Platforms: Windows and Mac.
Note: To access your PC remotely it’s required that your PC remains ‘ON’ with remote-access program running.
7. sVNC – “sVNC is a downloadable application that users who need support can easily install, so a Mac guru (like you!) can help them out.“. Basically, it’s a program that enables you to provide remotes users with access and control of your system.