We know you like Gmail Labs, we covered several topics in the past including its new features, 7 innovative Gmail Labs options, another 5 more features to check out and shown you 5 different ways to get your Google Tasks. Talk about fanatic!
The labs feature is a great way to push forth features which may be useful for a group of people, while others could do without it. Taking the labs philosophy further, Google Calendar now has a Labs feature as well.
As usual, you can access the Labs features via Settings (and then the Labs tab) and you would have to explicitly enable/disable the features according to your liking. Presently there are 6 features available inside Google Calendar Labs and I will elaborate each and every one of them after the jump.
- Background Image: Allows you to choose a background image for your calendar. Google Calendar doesn’t have themes like Gmail so this would be your best bet to customize the look of Google Calendar. After enabling it, you will see an option to choose a background image within your calendar settings
- Attach Google Docs: Lets you assign a document, spreadsheet or presentation from Google Docs to the event. Enabling this will add an entry “Add a Google Document” to the event details page. Clicking on it shows you a list of Google Documents you have in your account and lets you choose the ones you would like to associate with the current event.
- A World Clock: Apart from keeping track of time in different time zones, it also displays your event’s start time in different time zones. The various time zones can of course be configured to your liking.
- Jump to date: Quickly allows you to list your meetings for a particular date, without you having to scroll through all the different views to get to the date.
- Next Meeting: Shows a countdown to the next event in your calendar and a brief snippet representing the latest upcoming events.
- Free or Busy: Allows you to see which of your friends are free or busy at this moment. This is of course on the basis of the calendars your friends have shared with you
It is nice to see that Labs has been included in Google Calendar. It offers customization and an outlet for newer, more interesting features to make it to the main application (like Tasks, which recently became a part of the main Gmail Application). One can certainly expect more interesting features in the future. I am already in love with “Attach Docs” and “Next Meeting”.
Which ones do you like the most? What would you like to see in Labs next? Tell us in comments, we would love to know.