You have a website, now what? You do a search for your website but it does not appear in any search engine. It is not in Google, Yahoo! or any other directory. There are a lot of services that can help but they cost money. Social networking is a good way to promote your site but you do not have the time for that. What can be done to help promote your website without spending a whole lot of time and money? And I know you are wanting free, fast and easy.
These are tough requirements but I’m always up for a challenge. So here are “5 Free Ways To Promote Your Website” – starting with Google.
1. The Best Free Search Engine
It is no secret, Google is the most popular search engine. From the novice to the expert; young and old; millions of people use Google to find what they are looking for. So getting your website indexed is very important. The best part, submitting to Google is free, fast and easy. However, before you submit you should search Google to find out if your website is already in Google’s index. To do this:
- Go to Google.com and enter your domain name into the search box.
- When entering the domain name type it exactly as it was registered. For example, if you wanted to find out if MakeUseOf was indexed in Google you would type www.makeuseof.com
- If your site was indexed the first result will be your domain name. In this case you do not need to resubmit.
- If you site was not indexed, submit using the form above. It may take up to 3 weeks for your site to get indexed. Don’t keep resubmitting during that time. If your site is not indexed after 3 weeks, resubmit it.
2. The Best Free Directory
The next place to promote your website is Yahoo! Although it is not as popular as Google, Yahoo! is the best directory. It is also free, easy and fast to submit your site to Yahoo!.
Just like in Google, you should check to see if your website is already in the Yahoo! index. If your site is listed you do not need to resubmit. However, if your site is not found make sure to, rechecking in a few weeks to make sure it has been indexed.
3. Email Signature
At the bottom of your email, add a signature that includes your domain name. Just in case you need help with adding an email signature I’ve added some information for the most popular applications:
- Adding an email signature to gmail
- Adding an email signature to outlook express
- Adding an email signature to outlook
- Adding an email signature to entourage
- Adding a HTML signature to Mac’s Mail
4. Yellow Pages Directory
has a free listing that will remain active for 12 months. This is a good place to promote your site – and it is free, fast and easy.
5. Google Local Business
Last, but definitely not least – Google Local Business. When you submit your website to Google Local Business, it is eligible to rank in the local business section. The section is displayed before the organic search results, toward the top of Google. For example, I did a search for: dentist in dana point ca. Local business search is displayed just below the sponsored link section, with a map inserted to the left of the listings.
If you are going to submit to Google Local Business you will need either a business phone number or a business mailing address. Toward the end of the submission process you will be given a PIN number. You will need to use this PIN to complete the submission. If you opt for a postcard, the PIN will be mailed. However, choosing the phone option, the PIN will be displayed and an automated phone call will be made. Importantly, if the number is not a “business line” you will have to take the postcard route. Either way, it is free, fast and easy.
If you have promoted your website using a free, fast and easy method other than the ones listed here, let us know. Also, if you’ve enjoyed this article, check out what Mark wrote on getting your blog noticed.
How did you find this article? Did it boost your site’s traffic? Share it in the comments!