We all love wikipedia: it’s comprehensive, 100% user-edited (aka wiki-style), up-to-date, rather objective, and totally free. It’s a perfect wiki-powered system. While it’s by far the most popular one, it’s not the only wiki-style website that ‘works’. There are plenty of other successful wikis, focused on specific areas i.e, book summaries, cooking, HowTo’s and even ‘bullshit’. So, here you go, popular wikis that have something to offer.
(1) Wikipedia – all-favorite, biggest online encyclopedia
(2) WikiTravel – world-wide travel guide, covers destination guides, hotels and resorts
(5) CookBookWiki – recipes and cooking related wiki. Sections include: dishes, recipes, cuisines and channels
(7) WikiMapia – cool mashup between Google Maps and wiki-style editing. Lets you browse, view, search and add descriptive notes to any location on the globe.
(8) Wiktionary – multilingual, comprehensive, user-edited dictionary. Provides word definitions, etymologies, pronunciations, sample quotations, synonyms, antonyms and translations.
(9) Uncyclopedia – extremely entertaining wikipedia clone, that is filled with funny and not-necessarily correct articles. Check out: Colonel, Britney Spears, Donald Trump, …or an image pulled from an article about Women. (No offense ladies, it’s just funny…)
(10) EncyclopediaDramatica (update: this entry was removed from the list. More on this in comments)
(10) ProductWiki – collaborative product reviews.
(11) LyricWiki – comprehensive, user-edited source for lyrics. Claims to host lyrics for any song from any artist.
(12) WikiCars – a collaborative guide about cars and all auto-related stuff.
Some Smaller Topic Specific Wikis
- Ebaywiki – read and share ebay-related knowledge.
- Lostpedia – all about ‘Lost’ serial (episode guides, flashback characters, timeline, etc.)
- Dunck – a collaborative guide about Greasemonkey scripts.
- Mozillazine – wiki focused on Mozilla’s products (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc) and services. (Ex: Problematic Firefox Extensions)
- Operawiki – tips, customization, technical details of the latest version of Opera browser.
- Muppet.wikia – for everything related to Jim Henson and the Muppets.
- MemoryAlpha – fictional universe of Star Trek
- TvIV – encyclopedia of TV shows
- MentatWiki – exploring ways to become a better thinker.
- Voip-info – a reference guide to all things VOIP, i.e. software, hardware, service providers, reviews, etc.
- (update) GPwiki – game programming tutorials and source code for a variety of languages and platforms
More articles about: