1. Why Should I Get MakeUseOf Account?
- You’ll be able to comment around the site without having to enter your email address every time, as well as get help from our wonderful Answers community for any computer problems you might be having. You’ll be automatically notified of responses to your question, and you’ll be able to mark them as resolved.
- Freely download MakeUseOf Guides and Cheat Sheets
- As you take various actions around the site, you’ll accumulate points (that can be used to get some really cool stuff).
2. Getting A MakeUseOf Account
To get a MakeUseOf account you need to click the blue “Log In” button found in the upper left hand corner of the website. You can sign up either using your email or your Facebook account. We are NOT able to post updates on your Facebook wall (or profile) unless you do it yourself using the clearly labelled share buttons on our articles. We do not like social spam anymore than you.
Logging in will bring up the Rewards and account interface.
If you choose to sign up with your email you can do so by clicking the “Sign up with email” link just above the sign in form. Those who want to use Facebook can simply click the “Log in with Facebook” button. If you’re a former user who relied on Google, Twitter, Yahoo or Live to login, you will need to read the instructions in the gray space to retrieve your account, as those log in methods are no longer supported.
Once logged in, that section of the sidebar will turn into a personal profile space, showing how many points you have, your profile picture and a link to the Rewards store.
3. Getting Points
You’ll get a few points just for registering, and more as you perform various actions on the MakeUseOf website.
Following MakeUseOf: You’ll receive 50 points for following us on Facebook or Twitter. You can receive these points by using the Follow button in the main Rewards interface.
Subscribe to our newsletter: Signing up for the MakeUseOf newsletter is an easy way to net 250 points.
Invites: Click the Invite Friends button to generate an invite link. Friends who click it will earn you 1 point, and you’ll gain 9 points if they join.
Sharing Articles: Get 10 points for sharing MakeUseOf articles with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and so on using the social sharing buttons on the pages.
There is a daily limit on how many of each action you can get points for.
4. Using Points To Redeem Rewards
As you accumulate points on the site you will be able to use them to redeem some of the best premium software available, as well as limited-time physical rewards (like T-shirts, thumb drives and even tablets). All you need to do is head on over to the MakeUseOf Rewards page and exchange some of your hard earned points for your choice of software. You can access the Rewards page at any time by clicking the link in your profile.
Once you’re inside the Rewards interface you can check out what’s available by clicking the Catalog link.
Redeeming points for a software or service will dispatch a email to you containing a product key or coupon code along with instructions. Physical rewards will open a form in which you’ll have to enter your address and specify your options (if any exist). Please note that physical awards aren’t available in all regions – see the catalog for more details.
Users agree to a few rules by participating in the rewards program.
- Exploits, attempted or successful, can result in account termination and loss of all points.
- Only one copy of each reward can be redeemed per person. Attempts to circumvent this will be considered an exploit.
- Rewards come with no warranty or support through MakeUseOf. You can, however, contact us if you have trouble redeeming your points.
- Reward points have no monetary value
Have more questions? Please see our Rewards FAQ. If you still can’t find an answer, please email email@example.com.