How can I use Zim and Dropbox to sync files to my Droid phone?

Adrienne June 17, 2011

I was looking for a product to use as a To Do list between my PC and Droid.

I found Justin Pot’s article about Zim and Dropbox 4 Unique and Cool Ways To Use Dropbox 4 Unique and Cool Ways To Use Dropbox Read More . I downloaded Zim, placed it into my Dropbox and was unable to open it on my Droid.

Can I get specific information on how to do this or where I can find specific instructions? Thank you.

1. Thomas Taylor

Just to clarify - the way that Dropbox works in the cases that are described in that article is by providing a place to store the data that is used by locally-installed versions of programs on different computers/devices. So even in the desktop envronment, you wouldn't install Zim in a Dropbox folder; you'd install it normally, but have it store the data files on Dropbox so you could get them wherever you're using the application.

This workflow breaks down somewhat with Dropbox for Android in any case, as Dropbox doesn't automatically sync files to your Android device -- you have to use the Dropbox app to get the latest version of your files, and then upload it again once you've made changes. I find Dropbox for Android very useful for files that I need to reference, but not terribly useful for editing and keeping the edits in sync across devices.

As jhpot says, even this won't work for Zim, since there's no version of the app to run on Android. 

An alternative is to use a program that does its own cloud storage management to keep in sync across devices. Evernote, Remember the Milk, Google Tasks, and Toodledo are all good notepad/to do list applications that have Android applications. (GTasks has third party or a mobile browser version; ToodleDo has third-party apps).

2. jhpot

I'm pretty sure there's no version of Zim for Android, sadly. You should look into something like Remember The Milk or, as said above, Evernote.

3. Khantn

Use Evernote. The best program for to-do lists