Why does YouTube always stop when playing a video?

Hammad Fiazi August 21, 2011

Whenever I watch a video clip on YouTube, after every 3/4 seconds, it hangs up for 7/8 seconds and then continues. The process goes on, leaving me annoyed and helpless.

1. Don Young

every time i get on my you tube my favorites stay black for a minute then when i play something the video stays black for a minute then it plays for 4 second stops and keeps buffering i never had this problem before i have check my operating systems for errors

which browser you use

uninstall adobe flashplayer and shockwave player
      clean tour windows with ccleaner, glary utilities
      reinstall again
      update your video card driver
      check youtube

Disabling hardware accelerated video playback
      http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1230977

• Oron

Have you tried HA14's suggestions? Did they make a difference? Frequent blackouts are often the result of lack of memory, or (very) fragmented disc, so cleaning the disc should help, but if not, try to diagnose memory use as follows:
      1. Run the task manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc simoultaneously) and click on the /Performance\ tab.
      2. Observe how much memory is used, and compare it to "total physical memory".
      3. Now, with the task manager still running, run your browser and watch a video. If the amount of memory you are using is close to the total physical memory, or exceeds it, you need to upgrade your (RAM) memory!

2. dregj

i have a slower speed now
    than i used when youtube first started
    the problems only started in hte last few years
    youll notice the adverts never pause or mess up
    they dont have a clue since google took over
    i hope they go under

3. dennis

’m on High Speed Internet. I’ve Never had this problem before. Lately youtube videos play ok for a minute then just stop suddenly. It won’t play and it won’t buffer, it just stops. period

When you are downloading a file, does it slow down or pause for a moment? In most cases, if packet loss is high enough, a download will either slow down or pause but it will almost always automatically resume again. If this is the case, it is indicative of a network problem. The best way to troubleshoot this type of problem is with a packet analyzer such as Wireshark or Microsoft's Network Monitor.

You should also make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed, all of the latest patches for your operating system and the latest driver for your network adapter. If any of these are not the latest, update them and retry to see if the problem continues.

Let us know how it goes.

• Susendeep Dutta

Besides what Bruce Epper has suggested,I would also recommend you to keep your browser updated.Try using another browsers if the problem still persists.

4. dennis

why my youtube always hang up everytime i watch,,,but my network connect had no problem what is the best thing i can do so that i can watch continuesly.........

• Susendeep Dutta

Update your browser and Adobe flash player to see whether the situation improves.

5. mbook

Jesus Christ, you people are useless.

6. garth

and... sorry I can't help.

7. garth

I have seen a lot of people completely dismissing this phenomenon as novice users with bad hardware and slow ISPs. Let me assure you that this is not always the case.

I am running a 2-month-old laptop with Windows 7. It is modern 2011 technology and about as powerful as a laptop can get. I currently have Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera installed. I have used the computer in both Ohio and Maine in the past week, through completely different (cable) ISPs. I have plugged directly into the modems (so as to bypass wireless slowness), tried at all hours of the day (to avoid congestion problems), and used all of my web browsers. I have also tried other web sites besides YouTube... and experienced the same thing.

The videos will load for a while, then stop at some point. When I reach that point during playback, I have to reload the page and start over from the place where it gave up. It occurs most frequently when I switch to full-screen mode, but also occurs when the videos are normal-sized. The problem is reduced, but not eliminated, when I reduce the videos' resolution to below the default 480. The problem remains after browser restart, after system restart, after (re)installing the latest versions of all software, plugins, etc (even though I already had the latest!), and as I said above, it even happens with other streaming video services on the internet besides YouTube. It happens in all browsers, in multiple physical locations.

But it doesn't always happen.

It's really, REALLY, weird.

Through troubleshooting, I have eliminated everything except:

1) an issue with either Windows 7 or my specific laptop
    2) an issue with the streaming video software itself, or the internet as a whole

And I know it's not (1) because a quick Google search yields tons of other people running different software on different machines encountering the same problem. So, if you're going to reply to this forum saying, "Update your software. Blame your slow ISP. Et cetera," don't. 

• Samantha Welch

Garth - I am having the same problem and it is so frustrating. I have a brand new laptop running Windows 7 at 8 GB RAM. My old laptop which is from 2004 and runs on Windows XP at only 250 MB RAM does not have this problem at all. If you figure out why it's doing this, PLEASE let me know!!

• Bill

I agree with you 100% on this as I have windows 7 an Intel i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram, and internet bandwidth of 15 to 20 Mbps, and youtube videos still stop and start. On rare occasions the 1080p videos load very fast with no stopping, other times the loading bar almost stops completely. It also doesn't do well on the lower resolutions. When this happens I run a bandwidth test and find it downloading at 15 to 18 Mbps. I can't find any logical reason for this downloading problem with youtube videos, but I do not have any problems running 1080p videos on Vimeo.

• Tara

I have the same exact problem! when listening to music after about five songs it just suddenly stops for no apparent reason at all . This started when youtube switched its channel appearance and continues still. This is something with youtube and the idiots need to fix it. I can count on my hands how many times ive used youtube since they changed over because of this but thought id try again tonight just in case they had worked out the bugs. No Such Luck!! So i guess it will be sometime before i am back again.

8. Art

I'm on High Speed Internet. I've Never had this problem before. Lately youtube videos play ok for a minute then just stop suddenly. It won't play and it won't buffer, it just stops. period...

9. Art

10. Rickyguinn

Youtube pauses frequently to give me head, and when its playing.. your mom takes its place. & If you dont have a mom or shes dead.. I beat her with a bat. Jus saynnn. (:

11. AkashD

It is clear from your question that you have limited bandwidth (slow internet connection). So, i'll rather suggest you to pause the video once it has buffered for 4 - 5 seconds and wait for it to buffer completely & then watch the video smoothly..
    In the mean time you can do any other work without getting annoyed..!  :)

Hammad,

what you are seeing is buffering of the video. This is due to a slow computer or limited internet bandwidth.

We have had similar questions previously, please check out the answers here:
    How can I stop the buffering in YouTube videos?
    How can I stop my computer to constantly buffer videos?
    How can I play YouTube videos without a pause?