Why does YouTube permanently delete user names?

Jeff November 25, 2011

In my quest to create a handle for my video series, I have found that nearly all of the handles I would like to use are deleted. Why won’t Google make these names available for us again? Lastly, why are they deleted in the first place? It seems too common to be unintentional.

How do you know they were deleted? Tried to view their profile?

the point about domain names is correct, but they have a commercial value to them. Youtube usernames aren't sold. I guess if they were, it might be a different case?

so if i got this right, you are asking, why deleted usernames cant be used by those who wants to create new account.
    well, this is common with all other sites, you can't use a name even if it is deleted.because, it will confuse visitors.

if i am regularly visiting a channel called "xyzvidio"
    then one day, account is deleted.i visit the youtube channel,
    then i need to know that account is deleted as it happens today in current sitution.

if you use that username, i will see your videos, and will get confuse where did the channel and the videos go.
    that's what i think can be the reason.
    even facebook usernames have the same policy.

• Jeff Fabish

The same is true for domain names, yet they are resold. Just because it's done everywhere, doesn't make it the right thing to do. I'm more curious as to how the majority of usernames were not only taken, but then consequentially deleted. That's no coincidence.

well, we can't be sure, did you try vising those dead accounts ?
        can you tell me some of the names, that you failed to get?
        you can play with spellings and characters and try it,
        and get almost similar name as i wrote one in my previous comment.
        if xyzvideos is deleted.
        use
        xyzvidios
        xyzvideoz
        xyzveedioz

be creative to get almost similar name, add something or remove something or both.
        try to use a name which is customized and related to yourself or related to site or project or a combination.
        then you will not face this problem.