How can I get past a YouTube blocker at school?

Russell April 15, 2011

I want to access YouTube at my school, but am unable due to it being blocked. I am also unable to access proxy or translator websites, so I can’t use those to get around the blocker. If anybody can help me I would really appreciate it.

1. Blah

fags

2. Michael M

Use this free proxy website to access YouTube , Facebook or any blocked website in your school.

http://www.MaverickEyes.com

Its fast and easy to use. No need to install any software.

Enjoy. :)

You may want to reconsider attempting to circumvent the restrictions placed on the school systems. It may have very unpleasant consequences for you. Depending on the wording of any kind of implicit or, in most cases, explicit contract that was agreed to in order to get your uid/pwd, you could end up losing your network access, you could be suspended or you could even end up facing criminal charges for unauthorized use of the system. If your administrator is any good, he or she will already have made sure that you cannot bring in and install software yourself on the network. Workstations will not have CD/DVD drives, you will have very limited permissions on any machine you log into, USB devices will not work, and the firewall will block all known proxies (including Tor's). Also, all of the things done by users will be logged so it can be used as evidence in prosecution of violations (whether done internally by the school or externally by law enforcement). And these are just some of the basics. I have gone much farther than that in protecting the systems I have been responsible for in the past and I am even more stringent with my home network.

• Smayonak

Bruce, thank you for your informed opinion. What would you personally do if you found someone using a proxy to access YouTube on a network you were admin of?

As I understand it, under the Digital Millennium Act, it's actually a federal offense to use a wireless network without permission. It would seem common sense if violating the TOS also rescinded the network owner's consent. Thus a proxy would be a very bad idea.

But going to a federal court over something as simple as YouTube seems a tad severe. I think a lot of people would like to know, though, what they might be liable for whenever they use a network outside of home.

Private networks for businesses and schools almost always have written policies that define acceptable use for network resources.  They will normally state the types of activities that are allowed and those that are not.  Every policy I have written (or rewritten) has stated that attempting to circumvent any security measures implemented on the network is grounds for loss of network permissions at a minimum.  In some cases, I was able to convince the powers that be that violation of these policies could be considered grounds for immediate termination and possible criminal prosecution.  This can be upheld legally since all users had to sign the policy document before they got their user id and password and had to re-sign every year or whenever the policiy documents changed.  The business or school owns the network and they set the rules of use for those computing resources.  Anything outside of that scope can be deemed a criminal offense (not necessarily federal).

The individual who started this thread is attempting to bypass a firewall, therefore, attempting to weaken the overall network security.  It doesn't matter that he wants to access YouTube, the organization has deemed it unnecessary for whatever reason.  Like I said before: their network, their rules.  If I was the admin of a network where someone attempted this, he would lose all network access as soon as the attempt was found (normally an alert from an automated monitoring system).  If he was successful in getting out, further research would go into how it was managed and the hole(s) would be plugged (adjustment of firewall rules in this case).

The job of a network administrator is to protect the network from all threats to keep it healthy and running properly.  Anyone who attempts to circumvent network security, whether inside our outside the organization, is a security threat.  Removal of that threat is a priority.

• Smayonak

Do you have rules in place for students whose passwords have been stolen, such as via phishing or keylogger? 

4. Smayonak

Try using the Tor Project, which can be installed on the Firefox browser. People around the world have been using Tor to keep their identities secret in illiberal countries, as well as get involved in such hijinks as Wikipedia defacement and cyber crime.

The Tor Project runs off its own proxy network, which has servers distributed around the world. When you log into the network, you are effectively sending Tor the YouTube address, which then routes traffic through their distributed network, back to your computer. There are several variant developments of the software, the best of which for your purposes is the portable Tor client, which will run off a flash drive.

You can find the portable version of Tor, here:

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en