Do Yahoo servers capture web cam images?

npg August 2, 2010

If I send my web cam to my friend or my friend send me his web cam, does the Yahoo server capture the web cam every time or anytime?

1. Inevergivemyemail

in answer to your question... YES... read the fine print of the terms of use agreenemt you accept when you download yahoo messenger 11.0. yahoo does have the capacity to record and store all forms of communication passing through their servers.... chat AND video and to comply with the comply with the domestic surveillance laws imposed by the government in the usa they are required by law to do so. AND, they are required to provide those recordings on request to the us government. the same goes for MSN and Live messenger. The only chat I believe does not record is Pidgin but again, i am uncertain of which server the communication travels so it too may be recorded.

2. Hanandsingh

thank you

3. Ryan Dube

npg - what video chat software are the two of you using? You're referring to Yahoo so I assume you're referring to Yahoo Messenger? You can be sure that Yahoo doesn't have the capacity or resources to capture or log everyone's chat sessions, let alone video sessions, so no - Yahoo servers are not actively capturing and logging your video chat sessions.

With that said, if you're concerned about security you should be aware that the traffic does at least go through a 3rd party server - it isn't direct from your PC to your friend's PC. If you want the communication to be more secure you might want to look into Peer-to-Peer video chat software.

http://www.geckoandfly.com/5259/the-best-p2p-video-conferencing-and-chat-software/

Good luck!

• Hanandsingh

but the video images are going through server so, server can records each conversation without the knowlegde of user. whatever communication you adopt the messages goes through server so server will be active 24/7, and obviously yahoo server can store images... this is my opinion...i hvnt seen but its ironical