What is a .xps file?
Question by omer /

I was recently playing around my Windows 7 and I noticed that it has a xps viewer. My question is, what is a .xps file and what does it do?

• Moreki

Thanks for the information. Does one need to have the Windows 7 operating system to open the .xps type file, or can one even open it using the old microsoft operating systems like Windows XP or Vista?

• Fossil

I use Adobe X Pro to open them and then save them as a pdf.

• guest

hi iam using windows xp..i think it doesnot have xps viewer installed ..i have .net framework only but still it opens .xps file using xps viewer,,can anyone tell me which plugin is exactly installed that is providing such facility and doc opens in internet explorer?

the above question is rather old and you are unlikely to receive a fresh reply here other than from me and sadly, I don’t know the answer. I recommend asking a new question.

• G Jane Dostou

I am a virtual novice when it comes to computers. i was so glad when i saw the file extension look-up because I cannot access my *xps files but the download for it is gone! Anyone know what to do now?

• file extension lookup

XPS is XML Paper Specification which is used in Windows Printing machine and doesn’t support non Microsotf platforms (Only Windows, before printing you can save the file in “Microsoft XPS Document Writer” and Print it in a Paper format). Now the problem is “How to open XPS files on your computer ?” If you are on the Windows Vista platform then there is no need to download any plugin or software to open XPS files, double click on the saved XPS file to view the content! This is because both the .NET framework and XPS file viewer is previously installed on Windows Vista.If you are downloading any Windows user Manual or Ebook guide then you will find files in XPS and PDF format. Though you can convert xps to pdf files and open them in your PDF viewer but another alternative to open & view XPS files are suggested here (For other platform such as Windows XP or Windows server 2003) Try to download XPS file here just click this file extension lookup
    Download it for free! :)

These are two good resources to find out more about unknown file extensions:
    http://filext.com/ and http://www.file-extensions.org/ . You can do a search there to find out more about a specific extension. Wikipedia and Google are also good places to start.

Hope it helps.

• Jack Cola

Googling .xps will give you all your information.
    But have a read of the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_XML_Paper_Specification

• Steve Campbell

The first thing that came to mind was some kind of MS Office extension. Tina hit the nail on the head with this one. If you ever want to look up a file extension just run a Google search for *.extension (e.g. *.xps) and you should be able to find information regarding the extension as well as programs used for opening such files.

XPS stands for XML Paper Specification. It’s a document type developed by Microsoft, which serves as a PDF alternative.

You can read more about it in this article:
    What is XPS Files and How to open .XPS File extension