Why are XenApp Desktop applications performing so poorly for my Citrix users?

Ragu P September 11, 2014

I have a few Citrix users who are going via the web interface to access XenApp Desktop. They experience slow performance while performing functions within their applications. For instance, inside the Outlook application on the XenApp Desktop, there is latency while typing words in an email. Or within excel, a file will take about a minute to open. The Citrix XenApp servers were rebooted earlier this week (Monday night). Version is: XenApp 6.5.

Thanks.

1. Ted Perry

One of the biggest issues i've seen with Citrix performance is that most people think it is the Citrix XenApp server that is the cause of performance problems. Often this is not the case. It could be the virtualization tier, or it could be the user's network that is the cause of the slowdown. End-to-end monitoring is therefore a key.

EdgeSight is a good tool but it only looks at the XenApp server and not the other tiers. One of the better ones i have seen is the EG Innovations Citrix Monitoring tool - see http://www.eginnovations.com/web/egcitrix.htm. I have used EG in a couple of my recent projects after a friend recommended it and have had good success.

I don't have much Citrix experience so I can't point you to a certain direction but performance troubleshooting always starts with monitoring, find where the (temporary or not) bottleneck is.

Analyze the Citrix servers memory usage, storage speed and utilization, database integrity and speed, Network response times and performance between the clients and the server, utilization on your switches and routers, etc.

Proper monitoring is the key for a working environment (and troubleshooting) ~ be it with one tool for everything, or several tools for the different areas.

Right now I can only name Citrix EdgeSight but I'm sure there are other, maybe better tools available too.