Why do my Xbox and laptop lose their WiFi connections?

scott November 15, 2011

My laptop and Xbox lose their WiFi connections, but my WiFi broadband seems okay, and wired connections work too. Does anyone know why?

1. Ankit

I faced a similar issue. Reducing the DHCP lease time to an hour worked for me.

Thanks for sharing your solution, Ankit!

1. go to START>CONNECT TO>SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS (Can also be found in my
    computer>my network places> view network connections

2. right Click on
    wireless network connection and click on properties
    3. Click on advanced tab

4. Check the box next to " Allow other network users to connect through this
    computer's internet connection" then click OK.
    5. Right click on Local Area
    Connection the click on properties
    6. Click on internet protocol (Tcp/Ip)
    then click on properties
    7. Beside IP Address type in: 192.168.0.25
    8.
    Beside Subnet mask type in: 255.255.255.0 (Remember the this IP and Subnet mask
    are. This configuration is set
    for Linksys routers.)
    9. Click OK
    10. Turn on xbox go into the internet
    settings and make sure it gets an Ip and subnet mask automatically. 

Sorry, but how does this solve the problem of computers and xbox dropping wifi? They didn't ask for instructions on how to bridge a network, though those instructions you provided for that task are certainly very good (if they were relevant). 

Thanks for your comment, thought might help the fellow if facing this kind of problem? I dont know if the fellow have wifi problems all the time or during certain games?

Maybe microsoft fix it can help
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

Hello, you could also try checking if your router QoS is enabled.  To do so, you would have to enter router configuration and check on the settings.  They configuration pages change depending on the on the router.  Some routers, specially if they are old, do not have that option.  Also make sure that your router DHCP is enabled.  You could also try the following:

--  disconnect any and all wireless device from router
    --  connect XBOX and let it get an IP address
    --  once you have XBOX running with no problems, connect laptop to wireless
    --  go into command prompt by doing the following:

* click on start
     * type cmd
     * type the following commands and press enter after each one:
        **  ipconfig /flushdns
        **  ipconfig /release
        **  ipconfig /renew

* exit command prompt
    -- give it a trial run to see what happens

Also, make sure that the name of your network (SSID), is added as preferred network.  If it is not the first option on the list of preferred networks, make sure to move up to first preferred network.  If it doesn't work, gives you feedback.

4. Jeff

Hi Scott,

This can be complicated to diagnose, my guess would be either you have severe interference or that you're out of range from the router.

First, try changing the channel. You can do this by logging into your routers interface. InSSIDer will help you determine which channels are clogged, avoid using a channel that is well populated by devices. MakeUseOf published an article on how to use this tool.

Make sure that your router's firmware is up-to-date and that isn't surrounded by metal or in a secluded room. It's quite possible that your network is simply congested due to usage from another device, P2P software is a common cause of this.

Wireless repeaters are designed to extend a wireless signal, this may help you if the case is that your router simply isn't broadcasting the signal far enough. You can test this theory by relocating the devices that formerly lost connections, closer to the router.

- Jeff

Could be the microwave, or cordless phones. Could also just be a sketchy router.